Can your child be taken away for too many tardies?

My son had over twenty tardies this year, all my fault and now that I am out of school he hasn't had anymore. The VP had a conference and said you can be sent to family court. What does that entail? He was never more than five or ten minutes late and has straight A's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, you can get in trouble but a child cannot be taken away. You need to make sure to get him there on time
    Anonymous

• I guess that would be considered a form of truency. Did you drive him to school, or could he take the bus?
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:04 PM on May. 5, 2009

• They will send you to truancy court too. At truancy court you get fined for not getting your child to school. At family court they may assign a caseworker to make sure that you are compliant in getting your child to school.
    Anonymous

• seriously why does anyone even bother with public schooling. it sucks big hairy balls, children don't learn from it, go ahead ask your child how much they like school, they will probably tell you they hate it, and if they don't you will still know they hate it by the look in their face and eyes every morning when they know they "have to go". Whatever an education is it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist.
    Anonymous

• anon :16 - My child LOVES school. He hates when it's the weekend and he has to be home. He gets bored at home. It doesn't matter how much we do at home, read, draw, writing, play outdoors...he gets bored!!
    Anonymous

• Tardies fall under truancy. It doesn't matter if it is 5 minutes. The ruiles are clas starts at XYZ time. You do realize the reason they enforce it is to teach kids responsibility and staying within the rules...later to be the laws. Too many times and they send you, the parent with your child to family court. In court you have to explain WHY this is happening, what you have done to change it etc. Then the judge can do a lot of things..send you to counseling, require parenting classes, fine you, or send your child to juvenile hall. I know because my sister had this happen to her. Her son was absent 4 times in a sesmester and tardie 15. He was 13 and she got fined $725.00. Oh guess what...if your kid goes to juvi..YOU pay the bill. At least in CA you do.
    Anonymous

• He is starting to ride the bus. I understand its a bad habit and I feel horrible about it.
    it has just been hard with being a full time college student with two kids and being pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry it's been hard, but isn't that the definition of parenting? lol
    how you treat your child's school will be how they treat school. If it's no big deal that your late often, the child gets the message that school is not important.
    to ms. Anon, school is a fun place with the right environment. both of my children love school, and I love going to my work. I know many teachers who dedicate their lives, (and i do mean lives) to they school. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Isn't oversweeping generalizations about people whom you really know nothing about just another form of bigotry?
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 4:13 PM on May. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 7 and has been late often. My daughter has behavior problems and the school is aware of this. Obviously, a parent that gives the impression that school is not important is bad but some children throw fits and you have to drag them out the door. When she was 3 it was difficult but now I really cannot physically take her to the car. At this age only behavior modification works. Most of the time it works ok. Some days we are almost late and occassionally we are late. These are the days I end up attempting to drag her to the car after already taking away the computer, tv, money from piggy bank, etc. I am consistent and most days this works. Not all kids are late because the parents aren't setting the right example.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 10:22 PM on May. 8, 2009