Tantrums

My son is almost 16 months and for the last 2 or 3 weeks has been throwing tantrums left and right and I'm at a loss at what to do. How is a good way to help him calm down without making it worse. I've asked friends and they've told me to "just hang in there" I know I have to hang in there but any advice that would help I would love to know. Thanks alot ahead of time.

Con3Fam

Asked by Con3Fam at 4:15 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put him in his crib and put your back to him
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• maybe a tv on for him to watch while in his crib
    2mothershelpers

• my son is a beginner with tantrums. he's almost 13 m/o and has tantrums on occasion. basically tantrums are the only way they know to communicate since they dont understand emotion yet! I've read some good tips on parent magazine. if you're going to the store to get groceries, before going in, explain you are getting *such and such* and thats IT, but you have crackers in your purse if they get hungry...or say "we have that at home remember? we'll be home in a few minutes"...and leave it at that. but I have no personal experience with this yet so I'm sure I'll ask this question soon myself lol easier said than done!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• like your friend said, hang in there. The biggest problem at this age is communication. You'll find as your child finds better ways to communicate with you, the tantrums won't be as bed. I try to calm my child and ask her to *show* me since she couldn't speak well at 18 months. Now at 2, when she gets frustrated, she takes my by the hand and drags me to show me what she wants. She's pretty vocal too. She'll point to the pantry and say "nack" or fridge and say "apple". It takes time, and your child will have to learn how to express him/herself.
    Anonymous

• well, my son started that also - he's 18 months old and I have started time outs - even when he just walks after me whining and crying for no reason - he gets the I AM hungry, but I don't want anything, I am thirsty but don't want anything, pick me up, put me down type of episodes, after not meeting any one of his needs in his eyes, I finally say OK - if you are going to cry, you need to sit down and cry and tell me when you are all done - he will sit and cry for 2-3 minutes and say ALL DONE - though that's his only 2 sentance word - he gets what it means now in time out- I would say to be strong and very consistant - I will NOT cater to him when he's throwing tantrums. granted some of them are lack of communication but do the best you can with your judgement. they will only get worse if they aren't consistantly disciplined now.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Ignore them. When he is in your way, pick him up and move him. When you are out in public, remove him from the situation. the less attention he gets, the quicker the TT phase will end

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My DD is doing that too. She will just follow me around crying to be picked up and them want down when I get her. She wants her cup but throws it when I give it to her. I ignore her after i've went through all the nessicities. (diaper, food, cup, me) She does it after she wakes up from her nap until bed time. I've changed her nap and bedtime and it helped a little. I haven't tried timeout but it will start tomorrow.
    jflowers

Answer by jflowers at 11:40 PM on May. 5, 2009