Special Education Assistant..please read.

I want to go back to school to be a special education teacher, while writing a letter to a teacher of mine, i mentioned that and she gave me the idea of becoming a special ed assistant, i was wondering if anyone knew anything about a school online that offers that, how long i would have to go, and if after my associates degree i could assist, then go back when the time is right. I'm new to all this and while searching i hardly found anything. thank you all very much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont think you need a degree to be a "para-educater"....you might want to look into that for while you are going to school.
    Anonymous

• Depends on where you live. In SC you have to have an Associates Degree to be an assistant.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Be very careful with online education. The for-profit schools are mostly scams. Check with local community colleges and universities; they all have financial aid available and most have online classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I am a teacher in Georgia and we require our Parapros to complete a summer session through the RESA which stands for Regional Education Service Agency. The classes are very afordable and this would allow your children to get used to you being away from home some of the time.
    StaceyFrancis

Answer by StaceyFrancis at 7:39 PM on May. 5, 2009