Mixed reviews on doctors office

I have always taken my daughter to a pediatrician. And i have always gotten grief from my MIL about it because of how much they charge, and that you have to have an appt and not just walk in. She always raves about the clinic she uses saying they are so good, you can walk in and they always know what is wrong and they are much cheaper. I thing they are just a regular family practice clinic that anyone can go to. They also have extended hours and weekends. My whole deal is they aren' t specialized in pediatrics (i have 10 month old), and i have read and heard other reviews that service is not so great, and that there wait times are outrageous. And i dont like sitting in a doctors office with sick people all around you with an infant. That is just me thougt. Plus i called over there once for myself to get in, and i couldn't understand much of what they said. There english was not good. So i dont think the doctors are american.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• By the way , not saying that to offend anyone, i didnt think the right word was "white" adn that was all i could think of. Should i give the doctor a try for my child or just stay with my pedi who i am comfortable with and will find a way to pay the charges because it is my child and the health of my child.
    Anonymous

• don't switch just because MIL is persnickety. If you and your child are comfortable with your pediatrician then that is what is best. who cares how much it costs (if you can afford it) You should keep your kids with a ped. and not a general practitioner.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• We never took our daughter to a pediatrician. My husband, daughter, sister and family, and many friends all go to the same family practice group. I love the concept of family medicine, and having a doctor who truly knows me is a great comfort.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I use a pediatrician. Not sure that there is much of a price difference aside from copays for a walk-in clinic are higher than co pays for a PCP. Do you have insurance? If so, the co-pays will only change if the clinic is a ... I forget the term, but walking, urgent care type place.

I like to think that most docs will recognize when they are over their heads and offer a referal. I've gotten them from my family doc and dd has from her pediatrician. So it really depends on the doc, the wait time, and the staff. I left my office b/c it took forever to get an appointment and love dd's off b/c she always gets right in and very little wait, if any.
    Anonymous

• We see a family doc that is not a walk in clinic place and I personally would not trust one of them.
    Anonymous