Extraction of baby from our bed!

I have co-slept with my 8 mos old for the past 5 mos. Before that she was in a bassinett in our room. For safety reasons, (and at my SO request/demand) I think it's time to transfer her into her crib. how do I do this w/out CIO? OFten times she likes to nurse to sleep but will fall asleep on her own as long as it is in our bed. Even when she's in a deep sleep and I move her to her crib, she immediately wakes up and throws a fit. Her fussing always turns into loud crying. Today I am trying to put her in their for a nap which she should have taken hours ago, and she just plays and coos. Is it bad to leave her in there if she is having a good time? I don't want to neglect her. I am pretty sure that eventually she will get sick of playing and start to cry instead of just fall asleep as this has been the pattern every other time. When she does cry, I always pick her up cuz patting her back, talking to her just gets her more upset.

witchdoctor

Asked by witchdoctor at 4:31 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's in there playing, that's probably the bst time to leaev her....maybe she will just tire herself out. and KUDOS for not wanting her to CIO...I hate CIO. anyway, maybe just get her used to it like you are and then when you put her down, put her on her side or however she likes to sleep and roll up a blanket and put behind her so she doesn't feel so open. There's nothing wrong with picking her up when she cries either....my DD gets PO'd if I just sit there and pat her back....she's like ya I don't think so. =)...I would just keep trying and since shes a little older it may take a little longer....maybe you could bring the crib into your room and then move her farther away as time goes on?? Im probably not much help. My DD is 8 months and we still co-sleep.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm not saying it's the way for every child, but my son used to co-sleep, (he went to bed in his crib every night but would wake up crying at 2 am and I would bring him back to bed with me) and we decided he needed to go back to his crib. We let him CIO, and even though it's hard the first few nights, usually they learn to put themselves to sleep within the first week. He now goes to bed without crying, unless he's really not tired, (we'll give him an extra half hour if he's really adamant about it.) Sometimes CIO is the fastest and best way, and it's really not going to traumatize the kid to cry for a few minutes.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Oh, I meant to suggest: Have you tried nursing her and then putting her into her crib? They make pillows you can use to keep the baby from rolling...they might help her feel more like she's in bed with you.. ?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The no-cry sleep solution has a lot of good advice on how to do this.

With my son, I did the "long drawn out method" for a few weeks. I'd hold him, nurse him, rock him, put him down in his crib until he started crying, pick him up, hold him, rock him, put him down, talk to him and tell him stories, etc. It worked. Until he started teething. Then I discovered that people that do CIO often have to repeat CIO whenever their kid cuts a new tooth or goes through a new milestone. I gave up and decided sleep was a natural milestone like potty training.

My son learned how to put himself to sleep at about 28 months. No CIO. He just spontaneously decided to go to sleep on his own after we talked about it constantly and he decided he was ready.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 6:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have been doing the long drawn out method and man, that kid is stubborn. After two hours of nursing her to sleep, putting her in crib, her kicking and screaming the minute I lay her down, I repeat, and repeat again and usually end up just giving up and putting her to bed with us. Then I feel bad for giving up and putting her through all of that. The minute I lay her down in our bed, she goes to sleep. She is very particular about what she wants. I know nothing is wrong with her when she is crying because the minute I pick her up she stops or smiles at me. She despises the pacifier. I like waking up and staring at her in the middle of the night but I don't sleep that well with her in the bed and I 'm afraid when she's napping and I'm not in bed with her that she will roll off. Also, my SO is ready to reclaim "HIS" bed. Hopefully by age 15 she will be in her own room. The countdown begins. LOL!
    witchdoctor

Answer by witchdoctor at 7:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Another thought, you can get a mattress and put it in her room and nurse her down on that mattress and then go sleep in your own bed. The room has to be childproofed and the mattress should be on the floor. I wouldn't do this with any child that can't yet crawl or roll into a sitting up position. But once they can, it's pretty handy. They get used to sleeping in their own room on their own mattress, and don't expect to be in YOUR bed.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 7:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• That's interesting and may just work! Oh, the lengths that we go to for our children. I'll have to wait though until she can crawl or sit up. She has no interest in either right now.
    witchdoctor

Answer by witchdoctor at 8:02 PM on May. 5, 2009