Has any filed a chapter 7??

Has anyone here on cafe mom filed a chapter 7 and how do you start....where do you go...and how long does it take??? Do thet really erase all your debt, but you can't get credit for 2 years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I filed back in 2000 before my divorce. Yes, it erases debt, except for student loans, or things which you may want to keep, like your car or home. It was about a 6 month process for me. Back at that time, it was about 750.00. I found an attorney that specialized in bankruptcy. I started to get credit card forms in the mail within the first year I filed. I was able to buy a car within three years and small loans over time that I have had. For me, it was well worth it and eliminated alot of stress. It's not the bad thing that people may make you think.
    Anonymous

• Thank you Anon 5:12 I am too thinking about filing for Chapter 7 and you just shed a new light on what other people say when you discuss filing for Chapter 7.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 10:56 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thank you anon 2:12. We are $30,000 in debt not including our Durango which I want to keep. We are living paycheck to paycheck and paying $1,000 a month in credit card bills alone. We only have 2 credit cards, and one personal loan which make the total of our debt. iIwant to buy my kids a home one day I want to be able to buy groceries and gas after all my monthly bills are paid. We have NEVER been late or over-drawn on any of our cards or the loan, but we just need to make a fresh start for our family. My advice to anyone don't get a credit card, save for the big things you want and if you can't pay with cash DON"T BUY IT!! We struggled for awhile and used the credit cards for gas, groceries, clothes, car repairs, dr. bills, etc. We NEVER thought this would happen to us and we are scared and stressed and fight about money daily. I hope that this all works out for the best and we can have a new start for our family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on May. 6, 2009