So tell the truth, what were you taught as a child in school? Is it that we evolved from apes or that we have a shared/common ancestor with the apes?

I remember being taught in school that humans EVOLVED FROM APES. I even remember the human evolution chart demonstrating that very thing, beginning with THE APE and ending with THE MAN. I am not saying that this is right. I personally, don't believe either one so I guess that this question is to those of you that do believe in evolution. I have never heard of the shared common ancestor thing before joining CM. So if this is right then I wonder why they taught me something different in my school. I don't mean to sound rude but it kind of sounds like something that came about to put a stop to that question that we non-believers always ask, "So if humans evolved from apes then why are there still apes on the planet today?" We are now given the answer that we were NEVER ACTUALLY APES, we just shared an ancestor with them. Why wasn't this emphasized in school? See Chart Here: http://cairnarvon.rotahall.org/pics/chickfail.png

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To be honest, I remember being taught about evolution cuz I remember the ape to man thing. But thats about it.

I dont remember too much past ape to man and the accompanying pictures. Knowing where I grew up....there were other things explained to but I dont recall too much about elementary school stuff(and thats where Id have been taught initially).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't remember being taught either one. I do, however, believe in evolution regardless of whether we came from an ape or share an ancestor. Some lizards evolved from fish and there are still fish swimming around, so I dunno. Good question though.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i remember being taught evolution, but i also remember being told it was a theory, i don't remember being told it was 100% correct when it came to the human's evolving from apes aspect of it. more along the lines of this is where some scientists believe humans came from, others believe something else.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I remember seeing the charts. But I also remember in high school being taught about both intelligent design and evolution. Both were presented as theories. I lean more toward evolution, I can not understand way anyone would not treat the process of evolution as something divine in nature. Must man be so removed from nature that we could not come from it. I don't believe in the Genesis Story. It is a myth just like any other religion's creation stories. I know I will probably get bashed for this, but please note I am brave enough to not post Anon.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 4:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I wasn't taught either one. My school just taught around that particular subject.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Fireball1987, this is the OP. I am not ever brave enough to not post ANON, lol. I have received some pretty disturbing PMs about some pretty simple stuff (or so I thought). So I decided that from now on no matter what I may post, it will be anonymous. I love discussing things and debating on the particular post but when I'm gone, I'm gone. There is a time and place for everything and my private inbox is not that place and if I have left the conversation then it is obviously not the time. I do applaud your bravery though and thank you for your response.
    Anonymous

• I was taught we evolved from apes -- my 12th grade anatomy teacher even mentioned that a few times in 2004

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I hate that misconception! There are so many ignorant teachers out there.

We weren't taught anything about human evolution. My brother recently asked a teacher about it and was told teachers aren't allowed to comment on that.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 5:07 PM on May. 5, 2009

• One of the greatest things about science is that it is constantly being tested, retested, and updated. So what you were taught, might not be exactly the same as what your children will be taught. It's not that you were taught wrong, it's just that we have more complete information today, than we had then. Just look at computer sciences. Just about every six months computers are becoming outdated, as people learn how to build better and faster computers. That doesn't make your computer today any less, but the computer you'll buy tomorrow will still be better. The science we have today is the best we have based on the information gathered thus far. When new information comes in, the science will change.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• gee that was too long ago... I really do not remember what I was taught.. just knew I didn't believe it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:36 PM on May. 5, 2009