• In the Spotlight:

Sippy method?

How did you get your baby to wean from nipple to bottle, bottle to sippy? I can't get her to do any of the above! She's 10 months old and I am trying to wean her on BM but she refuses...do we just go with practice makes perfect, try try again?

(This is NOT a question about how long I should breastfeed so save it please.)

KamellasMommy

Asked by KamellasMommy at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Luckily, my DD will take a bottle and nurse perfectly fine....since she was tiny. but we're also having a difficult time with the sippy...it took about two weeks of me just putting it in front of her every day at lunch before she actually put it to her mouth and started to chew on it. then another week later, she actually sucked two times, then that was it. Now she could care less....I would just say to leave it in front of her to play with and get used to it.....I think they make sippys with nipples also and also I've heard that the ones with straws work too. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:50 PM on May. 5, 2009

• GET ANY SIPPY CUP WITH A SOFT NIPPLE.. IT WORKD WONDERS FOR US.. WAL-MART SALES THOSE FOR LIKE 2.00 TOPS..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• easier just to wean straight to sippy, forget bottles at this age....use a sippy with no valve a straw sippy(Nuby has great ones for BFing babies) or a soft spout one.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:56 PM on May. 5, 2009

• and maybe try juice in the sippy first, not milk, she expects the milk from you so it will be harder to get her used to it. then when she'll take it for that, you can start trying to sneak it in when shes tired with milk in it. with my daughter, i just didn't give her another option, shes not going to refuse for too long eventually she'll take it. the most fuss my dd put up was for about an hour or two and then she realized if she wanted a drink it was right there and she could have it. and i did start with the softer ones like hottmama said, those she seemed to like more.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My problem with only giving her that option is that she DOESN'T give in and take it. Doc says she needs 6-8oz 3x a day of BM and 3 feedings of food/baby food. So, I went down to nursing her ONCE a day, feeding babyfood 3x a day..and she's perfectly content! After 2 weeks I decided to BF her 3x a day because she is simple not getting enough liquids. So, I can't just NOT nurse her anymore because she just doesn't seem to care if she gets it or doesn't. Either way, she needs it.
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 5:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Nipple to sippy. Water in the sippy. Try a Sigg or other stainless steel bottle; I can always taste the plastic, maybe your baby can too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with finding the silicone top sippies. Have you tried putting milk in it so it isn't something foreign to her? I would just offer it several times a day.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yes, I only use breastmilk now because IF I manage to get some in her mouth she doesn't make the "nasty" face that goes along with water and juice. I think a silicone tip, straw and trying several times a day is my best option. She actually has sucked on the straw..but only does it when I tip the cup up so she never gets anything, lol. :)
    KamellasMommy

Answer by KamellasMommy at 6:06 PM on May. 5, 2009