I am stuck...

I had originally planned on naming my DD Isabella, then I became a member of Cafe Mom and realized that Isabella is UBER popular right now, and I am not one to fall into trends. I picked out the name Isadora, but DH doesn't really care for it, and she doesn't really 'feel' like an Isadora right now. Her middle name is going to be Irene, no exceptions...it is my middle, mom's middle, and gma's middle....kind of a tradtion. I just don't know what to do, I am stuck. I don't want to be like everyone else, but I don't want to try too hard to come up with a unique name that she ends up hating me for. Irene is an old name, and so is Isadora....I might as well name her Beatrice Gertrude lol. HELP. Should I stick to the original and just not care what everyone names their kids, or should I go with unique and pray she doesn't hate me for it when she grows up??

IzzysMommy87

Asked by IzzysMommy87 at 5:06 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does DH like Isabella? Although it's popular, it's a beautiful name, and if you like it, you should go with it.

You could try variations like Arabella, Maribella, Isabelle, Annabelle, etc. What does she feel like to you.. And if you like Irene, stick with it :D Family traditions like that are very nice.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 5:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I gave both of my sons very unique names but they just felt right. I think Isabella Irene is a beautiful name, go with your gut after all your the Mommy and you only get to name her once.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 5:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• wHAT WRONG WITH gRACELOU FREEBUSH.. lol JUST KIDDING, IF YOU LIKE IT GO FOR IT, IF YOU WANT TO STAND OUT THEN YOU BETTER GO FOR SOMETHING ELSE, START A NAME POLL, ASK FOR THE MOST DIFF NAME THAT IS CLASSIC AND PRETTY.. HECK NAME HER CLASSIC, I LIKE IT..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yeah you should change it. If you look at the list of popular baby names in 2008, Isabella is number 1. I know growing up kids that had the same name as everyone was confusing and annoying. I like Irene though! I don't like II as the initials though, so yeah try something different!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well I guess my mom wanted my name to be "different" and "unique" and I guess she was in your same situation so she named me something out of this world and all thru out my years growing up i hated it omg please dont name your child something that will hunt her like i have but when i grew up i learned to live with it and i discovered I am different and unique and iv nenevr met any one with my name but if you like the name go a head and name her it the name will be her and it might be others with it but everyone with the same name dont act the same she will have her own little attitued and that will seperate her from all the rest..
    Anonymous

• i felt the same way when i named my daughter 3 years ago, went over popular name lists made sure hers wasn't on it recently etc..well she is victoria and every time i go anywhere now i hear that name directed at kids her age. and like i said it wasn't on any popular name lists for the last 5 years before i had her. then that year its in the like top 25. naming this one i just made sure it wasn't in the top 10 but i think with the trends everyone looks for names that haven't been used alot recently then all end up picking the same name. and i agree with anon 5:15, my mom named me jessi and my sis kelli in the early 80's both were considered boys names, so that was not fun growing up. now though, they are popular girls names. i say go with what she feels like to you and what you love. you are the one that will be saying it for the rest of your life
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:22 PM on May. 5, 2009

• DH does like Isabella, and it is one he can remember and pronounce lol.
    IzzysMommy87

Answer by IzzysMommy87 at 5:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Don't worry about what's popular. You have no control. All you can control is picking a name you and hubby like!
    Anonymous

• I named my son Xhander, thinking I had NEVER heard it before. Well, now we hear of Zanders all over the place. At least mine has a little different spelling. If you love Isabella, give her the name Isabella! If you are still worried about the popularity try to find a pregnant mommy group or ask around and see if anyone else that anyone knows is thinking of the name Isabella, if you hear about 5 other moms who just love the name, you know you should think of some more options.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 6:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• What about.....
    Arabella
    Isannah/Ysanna
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:11 PM on May. 5, 2009