My baby was exposed to the flu. What do I need to do?

My 10 month old was around a friend of mine who had the flu (I had no clue she had it) She also gave him a sip of her drink too....I'm furious because she knew she wasn't feeling well. (i didn't) she shouldn't have come over to my house ecspecially since I have a baby. My son is up to date with his vaccienes. Should I still call the Dr. just to make sure I don't need to do anything else?? (they are also running test at her doctors to make sure it isnt swine flu)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing! the flu is the flu whether it's the swine flu or not. Just watch for symptoms and treat like the regular flu
    Anonymous

• if she is around it more and likely she is going to get it. you can't stop a baby from catching the flu
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• theres isn't any specific medications for the flu you can't take antibiotics for it so theres really nothing your doctor can do. if it comes back as swine flu, you'll want to call your doc and have baby tested that way they can tell you what to keep an eye on. but otherwise, just keep a look out for fever and fussiness. if he gets those symptoms take him in to have him checked out. but they will just tell you to keep him hydrated, and tell you what meds he can take for his symptoms
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• There is no reason for you to do anything right now if your baby is not showing signs of being sick.

If your baby starts running a fever, gets a cough, runny nose, etc. within the next 72 hours, and it continues for longer than 5 days, then you should take your baby in to see the doctor.

I'm sure the pediatricians are overloaded with babies right now due to concerned parents - save them some grief and wait until he shows signs of being sick.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It happens. Just treat it like any other illness. Keep an eye on the baby and call your Dr. if you are concerned.
    Anonymous

• Actually, the flu can be treated with Tamiflu if it is Swine flu, but she is probably just fine.
    Anonymous

• Not much you can do about it. Wait and see what your friends test results are and if the are positive give your doctor a call and see what they think about it. They do make preventative medications for influenza but she may not be a candidate due to age or other factors. Hopefully she had her flu shots this year... that should help.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's just the flu. Watch her and keep her hydrated. And no, her flu shot won't work, it is for type a or something. It's just normal ole flu. Do not worry. If she shows any symptoms, take her to her normal doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Not much you can do. Keep the child hydrated and if he is in vitamins, be sure to keep up with those. Best thing you can do is anything that keeps the immunse system healthy. Which is probably what you are doing anyway.

Don't be upset with your friend. Most often than not, not feeling too well doesn't always mean your sick.
    Anonymous

• unless the baby has symptoms then stop freaking out. Its just the flu.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 6:04 PM on May. 5, 2009