do you think monkeys would really care for a human baby?

I am watching Tarzan on the disney channel with my son and it just made me wonder if monkeys would really do that in for real.

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 5:15 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Entertainment

• There are many documented cases of a species taking care of an infant from another species. I think that its a maternal instinct, and I think that a monkey probably would (Maybe not a monkey, but a gorilla or an ape) take care of an infant.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i had a dog that produced milk to feed a newborn kitten
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Actually I saw something about this on tv. A 4 year old boy fell over the rail and into a gorilla cage and knocked himself unconcious. Everyone was freaking out because gorilla's can be VERY hostile so they were trying their best to get to him before one spotting him. Well a female gorilla slowly walked up to the boy while he was laying on the ground and was stroking his head and was caring for him like he was her own. Well then the little boy woke up and started crying and screaming so everyone got worried the gorilla would attack him or something but she just got up and walked away! It was the craziest thing to see! So I guess maybe it could happen?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I can maybe see the instinct to care being there, but human babies are different from monkey or ape babies, much more dependant and weaker. So even if a primate tried to care for a human baby (like in Tarzan) I don't know how well it would really work because as similar as we can be, we are still very different.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I also heard of the boy falling into the gorilla enclosure. And I do think that many animals instincts will cause them to care for other species.

As for it going on long enough for a baby to survive and grow up into a man (like Tarzan) I think that complications, like human babies being more helpless than other baby animals, would actually prevent this from happening.

Its still a good story/movie though!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• IT's a shame theres no real way to know, because who's going to be the one to let their baby in there with a gorilla, you know? But I think it's definately a possiblity!
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:19 PM on May. 6, 2009