The groomer says my dog is too aggressive...

I have a shih-tzu mix and she says he tried to bite her (which he doesn't bite he just nips) and growls when she comes near him. she said it was b/c he's never around people, but i don't agree, in fact we just moved from a house that was in a court and he used to escape our backyard and people called him the court dog, saying he was the whole courts dog. So i used to just let him go and play in the front b/c everyone liked playing with him and when i'd let him out everyone would know his name and call him, he'd bark at some he wasn't used to but i don't know what to do, that's the second groomer that refuses to groom him.

mgm_5

Asked by mgm_5 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• there was an episode of the dog whisperer just a few weeks ago that dealt with this very thing. the groomer was remembering their fear of the dog but dogs live in the "here and now". see if you can find that episode. i think if you watched it, you could give your groomer some really good advice as to how to deal with your fur baby.
    mommybutterfly

Answer by mommybutterfly at 11:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• try putting a muzzle on him when he goes to the groomer.. that will fix that problem.
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It is probably the environment I told my groomer that my dog nips when his nails are done so she muzzled him for it. He did nip at her too, but that solved the problem.
    ChaoticCreation

Answer by ChaoticCreation at 11:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• How old is your dog, and is he displaying any sort of different behavior anyplace OTHER than at the groomers? If he has changed temperment suddenly, he might be suffering from pain or other physical problems. Imagine if he was suffering from hip pain and his groomer did not handle him gently enough - he would obviously react. If he had a brain tumor, his demeanor might also change. If he hasn't been to the vet in a while, it might be time for a full check up. The muzzle idea is good, but only after you have ruled out a physical cause for his behavior. He deserves that.
    TwinmomPlus

Answer by TwinmomPlus at 2:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2008