How old is to old?

I have 3 1/2 year old twins. They both still nap or at least "rest" for hour to hour and half a day. My MIL tells me that they are to old for this. But I feel that they still need it. At what age do you think that kids should stop taking a nap?

cjjustlex

Asked by cjjustlex at 5:55 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They make them nap at daycare...why not at home? Even kindergarten does it sometimes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my son is 3 and definatly still needs his nap otherwise he is a huge crab! i dont plan on stopping it anytime soon, even tho he has been fighting it lately
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my duaghter is 4 and gos too day care and they still make them nap and even with her going into kindergarden they have whats called quit time so really up untel they stop if you ask me my daugher is at that age now were she wont nap at home anymore but some times she still needs that nap at day care not allweys but some times
    hotsexymom788

Answer by hotsexymom788 at 8:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• They will be too old for it when YOU feel they are. You'll know.

As for your MIL - remind her that many states mandate that children in preschool MUST take a nap or rest everyday. Many full day kindergartens have one too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It really depends on the child. My son is 5 and he still takes a nap most days or he is really tired and grouchy by the end of the day.
    jaclynn20

Answer by jaclynn20 at 12:39 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My son quit taking his naps, but has queit time every day when he was about 3, but that doesn't mean that is right for everyone. He is starting preschool in a couple weeks and will be made to lay down and at least rest. Just ignore the MIL. Some kids need the nap and others don't.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:35 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My oldest took a one to one and a half hour nap till he was five, my youngest began to give up his nap at age three.

I used to teach Kindergarten at Children's World and the children napped for three hours.

It depends on the child and circumstances.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:55 AM on May. 6, 2009

• You know what your kids need, when they don't need naps anymore they will let you know.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:08 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My DD is 4 she just turned 4 she hasn't really taken a nap since she was about 2 and a half or 3. When I put my 16 month old down for a nap I tell my 4 year old she doesn't have to take a nap, but she at least has to go in her room and stay there for quiet time until her sister wakes up and she once in a great while will fall asleep, but usually just has quiet time so there is nothing wrong with at least if they don't take a nap that they go to there room for quiet time. I am a stay at home mom so I need my time lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My youngest is a little over 4. There are days when he doesn't need to nap so much, so we let him skip. Other days you can tell that he is going to fall asleep the second his little head touches the pillow, and he'll sleep for 2 hours. He rarely sleeps at daycare and you can tell. He is tired and grouchy. You need to do what is best for you and your children, not your MIL.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:18 AM on May. 6, 2009