Is going through your kids room an invasion of privacy?

It is a lot going on with kids these day's. Should parents not go through there kids rooms? Just because parents pay the bills and provide room and board to kids do that give the parents the right to go through there kids rooms? My answer to this question is yes, but what is your answer?

kaye2005_2004

Asked by kaye2005_2004 at 5:56 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have three kids. My house my business. Or they can leave and find out if another mom is different. If so that's their final choice. Hindsight when death occurs or a bad accident is too late to make things better. I look at emails, texts, calls and bags. My kids no it and don't like it but they have the choice to leave and don't. Oldest two in twenties and one a teen.
    Anonymous

• You know I do believe it is an invasion but it's just one of those things that is okay. I have thought about this. If I will go through my sons room. Maybe on a rare occasion. Gosh I don't know. I mean, when I was a kid I went through my parents room. So why should I get mad if they go through mine. I'm sure my son will go through my stuff. Wow, this is a really good question. Ya, I kind of think it is okay, like the previous said, "My house my business." Have you snooped through your SO stuff? Yeah i think it is totally okay to know what is going on but there are limits. For example if I ever came across my child's journal I would not read it. If my husband wrote a journal I would totally want to read it though. I don't know. I would just want to make sure nothing violent or inappropriate is going on.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 6:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• As long as they live under your roof and you are supporting their butts, they have NO PRIVACY. I used to find some good stuff in my daughters. Yes, I told her.. She knew. As long as you are supporting them, you MAKE the RULES!
    Anonymous

• yes its an invasion BUT.. ur the mother/father, u paid for the house and if u suspect ANYTHING going on.. it's not an invasion anymore, it's simply seeing to make sure u can trust him/her when they tell u something
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 6:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The safety and well-being of my children come before any perception they may have of a "right" to privacy.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think that if you go through the room to make yourself feel better then it is wrong, BUT if you have some serious suspisions then that is where I feel a parent has the right. I do agree that it is my house, my rules, but everyone is entitled to a little privacy, only snope if you are willing to hurt your relationship with your child, and if you have suspisions then it may already be hurt.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It is the right and sometimes the responsibility of the parent to do so.

However, this is a surefire way to erode the trust between you and your child. Each time you do this you diminish the autonomy that your child needs. And if your kids do have something to hide, they will simply find a better hiding place. Build a better mousetrap, build a better mouse.........

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's an invasion of privacy but kids have no right to privacy, imo.
    anita73

Answer by anita73 at 8:20 PM on May. 6, 2009

• eh, I'll search anybody's stuff, my kids, my husbands, my kid sisters, my parents. But they know i'm a snoop and are ok with it. I can't seem to help my self.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:49 AM on May. 9, 2009