Did anyone see in the news where the national average for dads trying to get modified child support is up like 39% b/c of all the layoffs? Thoughts please...

MFax

Asked by MFax at 6:02 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I agree, if they aren't working what they were before how are they supposed to pay what they were ordered to?

Anonymous

• If their income hasn't changed or mom's hasn't then it won't do anything
    Anonymous

• If they are laid off, how can they pay? Unfortunately this is a situation that affects everyone.. so, it only makes sense.
    Anonymous

• In an intact family, the whole family has to tighten their belts if a parent gets laid off. Just because the family's no longer intact doesn't mean that logic goes out the window.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• So long as the child is being taken care of...mom can cut back on some of the "extras" that the child doesn't need...I see no problem with modified child support.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:02 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Exactly what I was thinking. My step daughter's mom expects to paid as usual even though she's lost her job, we have to tighten up, and we spend the majority of the time with her. We get her things when she needs them and we have her Mon thru Fri from the time she gets out of school untill like 9-9:30 at night. She eats 2 meals with us. What is her problem?
    MFax

Answer by MFax at 8:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• As long as the noncustodial parent is paying something, then I have no problem with a modified child support order while the parent is laidoff. I have never counted on the child support my sons father pays, so to get less wouldn't be an issue for me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:23 PM on May. 5, 2009