How can I make sure my 3 month old baby girl stays in her crib or swing?

My daughter always wants to be picked up. She doesn't stay in her crib or her swing for more than 5-10 minutes at a time or unless she is sound asleep. Help! Anyadvice would be greatly appreciated!

eager2learn

Asked by eager2learn at 6:04 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's tough, but maybe try letting her cry it out?
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 6:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Unfortunately that is how they are at this age. Invest in a good sling and carry her around with you as you go about your day. Also check out Meetup.com for local mom groups. That really helped me stay sane.
    Finally your daugther is not developmentally ready for cry it out. For that you will have to wait until your daugther is at least 6 months.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• She's only 3 months old and you are her world - of course she wants to be picked up - if you move a couple of metres away she can't even see you any more. Get yourself a good quality baby sling and take her with you, this will pass by so quickly, and I guarantee you will miss it when she would rather not sit on Mama's lap. You won't spoil her by carrying her around, and you will feel better if she's not crying all the time. XXX
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• She is SO young and you already don't want to hold her?? I'm sorry but she's still a tiny baby and sleeps enough for you to get stuff done. She knows what she needs, hold her. My son is almost five months old and he finally is getting a little independent himself.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Wait another month before you let her cry it out. My doc suggested it to me when my DS was 4 months. You can't hold her ALL the time, and so the mom above was rude when she suggested that you didn't WANT to hold her. There are things you need to get done that simply aren't safe for you to hold her while doing (cooking for one) What I did with my son was to put him down but make sure he could still see me and I could still talk to him. If I was cooking, I strapped him in his highchair across the kitchen from me. If I was taking a shower, I put him in his bouncy chair either facing the shower (glass doors) or towards the linen closet (mirrored doors) with them open so he could either look at himself or me. Yes he would cry at times but like my doctor said, he needs to know that you can't hold him 100% of the time but he will stll understand that you love him because you take care of him, play with him, cuddle him, feed him, etc.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 6:31 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Cont: A half hour of crying isn't going to undo that bond that you've built since your baby was inside the womb. Hang in there mama! It's a long, tough, yet rewarding experience. If you need some non-judgemental advice or just need to talk, feel free to add me and/or pm me :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 6:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well I finally broke my 8 week old of this habit. She was seriously one of those babies who could not be put down for longer than 1 min.! I started getting her to nap in her crib. I just had to let her CIO (I know some think it's cruel, but it was the only way). I'd pick her up after a while of crying and then try again. Finally, after about 2 weeks, she started to accept the crib and now has accepted sleeping in her swing or bouncer. It's tough, but if you keep trying, your LO will eventually accept it. She's been sleeping through the night in her crib since Friday. When she starts to cry, I go in and pick her up, rock her back to sleep and then put her down. Eventually the crying will lessen until he/she just goes to sleep. It worked for us, but there are still fussy times when she wants to be held and that's ok. I just couldn't hold her or nap with her every day.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Also, I bought some white noise sounds off Itunes (vacuum, womb, restaurant ambiance, ocean waves, water dripping) and I play them in a loop for her. She loves them. Keep trying and she will get over this,. but it is definitely nerve-wracking.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Okay drama queens, letting a 3 month old baby be by herself to watch her mobile in her crib, or sit in her swing, is not going feel abandoned by her mother forever! You're making it sound like she's a horrible mother for wanting more than 10-15 minutes to be by herself! I've never had any doctor tell me that it was unacceptable to let my child cry it out before 4 months, that's a bunch of BS.

Anyway, for my answer:

I received a " Crib soother" from a friend at my baby shower for my son, It's a rainforest one that hangs on his crib, and when he was that young, he LOVED staring at it with the moving monkey, and the nature sounds. He also has the rainforest mobile that moves and dances and plays sounds from classical music to rainforest sounds. Just find something that will keep her attention away from you. Anything brighty colored or lit, and that is safe for baby. It was my savior when I needed to get laundry/dishes done
    Anonymous

• Sounds normal, actually. We're meant to be held as infants. Look into a baby sling if you want to be able to get some stuff done.

My son was pretty much constant contact until he was about 9 months old then he learned to crawl and didn't want to be held AT ALL anymore. He's insanely independent now. :)

Activity centers start becoming appealing at around 5 months. My son loved his Jumperoo at 5mos.. Maybe an activity mat or bumbo seat might appeal to her more?
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 6:46 PM on May. 5, 2009