What is a person with Aspergers like?

I'm not here to start drama but are they slow? Are the unlikable? I was diagnosed with it as a child and I feel like I am hated. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on teh person. Just like autism, it depends on the person.
    Anonymous

• There is a very wide range of this syndrome. How old were you when you were diagnosed? May I ask how old are you now? My little sis has a mild form of Aspergers. I think most people look at someone with Aspergers as a little quirky. But as we grow up we realize we ALL have our own little quirks!! Why would you think others hate you? Confront them!!
    mysweetJBs

Answer by mysweetJBs at 6:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I was diagnosed when I was six, I'm 22.
    Anonymous

• In what ways do you believe Asperger's shows in your personality or day-to-day stuff? I know with Aspergers a lot has to do with it being difficult in social situations - so maybe that is where you are having a hard time and thinking other's don't like you? Maybe you should consider talking to someone or a support group (online?) for adults with Aspergers to gain more insight. Maybe the way others are around you has nothing at all do with you but they are just butts?!! Whatever it may be - don't let it make you stuck or depressed or resentful - do what it takes to figure it out!
    mysweetJBs

Answer by mysweetJBs at 6:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I guess you could say I'm very pass aggressive. Or at least that's what others say and it makes me come off as being a push over.
    Anonymous

• My son is an Aspie. In his case. he has problems with impulse control and especially with his temper. He is also very focused on things HE is interested in, to the exclusion of other things. He'll talk your ear off about Pokemon, for instance, and he won't notice any of your physical cues that indicate you're bored with the subject.

He's not "hated" but is socially awkward.

There are MANY good books out about Asperger's...you might stop into your local library.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:04 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My son's friend has Asperger's and he has difficulty in social situations but he is highly intelligent. In Kindergarten he was reading at an 8th grade reading level. He would get bored with simple assignments that he had to do. He tended to mock what people were saying if he didn't like it. He talked endlessly about whatever subject he was onto at the time. I had no problem with him nor did my son. You just had to have a lot of patience and understanding. Have you tried talking to a counselor? That may help and like gdiamante said, there are a lot of good books out there that might help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on May. 5, 2009