When to step in?

At what point is it okay to step in? My SIL doesn't make her car payments and has NO insurance on the car but she drives my niece around all the time, if something were to happen, or if the car were to get towed... I don't know if I should step in and call the car lot or the cops and say 'hey my SIL is being an idiot please for the sake of my niece take this car away from her'
And before you think I'm awful, I have done research and found insurance she can afford. She's not broke, she has money she just would rather spend it on going to the movies and out to dinner then on car insurance and car payments.... :( I want to step in but I'm afraid it's just going to make everything worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• if my sil got in my business i'd be pissed, i know you're worried about the child, but i'd stay out of it just to avoid even more conflict
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• in most states if insurance is required the dmv will be notified if there is no insurance on the vehicle and suspend the persons license. and on top of that most lending companies require full coverage on vehicles that are on a loan, so her lending company can also request the proof of insurance and if she has none than they can go through the dmv as well, or put their own insurance on the vehicle and raise the coverage. however as for if something where to happen, honeslty if she were to get into a wreck with the insurance versuses w/o what difference would it make in your nieces outcome health wise? more than likely none, i think it you step in like you want to and notify authorities it really isn't going to do any good. as for not making payments on it, theres also nothing you can do there, the bank will repo it when its been long enough and hope she learns her lesson then
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't see how her not having car insurance is affecting your neice at all. Her car will be taken away if she's caught driving without insurance but they aren't gong to take her daughter from her or anything just for driving without car insurance.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:48 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would leave it alone, it's not a good thing that she is doing, but your neice is not in any danger.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• leave it alone
    she is being an idiot, but she is not harming the child
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with the others, it is not harmful for your niece to be in an uninsured vehicle. If the state you live in requires insurance, she will soon find out that she will lose her vehicle or her car company will put insurance on the car for her and it will be much more than she would be paying if she just got her own insurance. Also, if she doesn't make her payments the car will be repoed and that also will not hurt her child. I would stay out of it. She is an idiot not an unfit mom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• This isn't child abuse, nor will it cause emotional or bodily harm to her daughter should she get pulled over and toed. I would leave this one alone.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Also, it sounds like she has really drawn you into this situation and made it your problem. The amount of stress it causes you is coming through in your question. Because it won't hurt your niece, you should look at drawing some clear boundaries with her that prevent her problems from becoming yours in the future.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thank you everyone I realize that the insurance isn't causing my niece any harm I worded that part all wrong. She's had this car for almost 2 years and hasn't made payments for almost the entire time and has NEVER had insurance on it and to be totally honest I'm really frustrated with the whole situation but I wont get involved any more then I already am. thanks ladies
    Anonymous