Is this cute?

So was this just an awesome idea or what! When my husband and I first got together we moved in with a roommate. We had crap jobs, but we could afford rent and food. We thought it would be sooooo awesome to have a baby, in fact if we did that then for sure we'd get married! So we eventually did get pregnant, not really TTC, but not trying to not ya know? So there we were, 6 months pregnant, getting married. Had our daughter 3 months later. Crap jobs, he was at OfficeMax as a supervisor, I was at Arbys as a team leader. I had to *omg* go back to work after the family leave thingie was up! This was all in 2002.

So was it a good idea to have kids without good jobs? Should we have waited? Was it cute that we were playing house? idk I think we should have waited. And I'm posting this because I wanted you to know a little more about me I guess and why I think the way I do.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 6:59 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• btw I love both my kids, but I wish I would have thought a little more before bringing my kids into a life where I can't afford everything I hoped to for them.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i think no matter what financial situation you are in when you have kids, you always wish there was more that you could do for them when it comes to money things. as long as they are healthy, fed and taken care of than i think if it worked out for you than thats great for you.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I am so with you. I did the same thing 25 years ago! Yes, I wished I would have waited, but I am so lucky now to be on my own. I love it!
    Anonymous

• Probably, but I feel like I put my life on hold when I had her. Like, I just now graduated in December at age 28 FINALLY with my bachelors. Took a lot longer than it should, ended up in more debt than I should have, and still feel like we're behind in 'the race.'
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:04 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't think it's cute. I think that you should have had better careers going beforehand but it doesn't make you any worse of a parent.
    Anonymous

• Hey at least you both have jobs. It may not be the highest paying jobs out there but your working fot what you want. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 (fixing to be 4 in December) and fortunite enough that we can afford for me to stay home while hubby is working and we cant afford EVERYTHING I hoped for them either, that doesnt make you a bad mom. Your working so that you, as a family, can have a roof over your heads and food in your bellys, the neccesaries. All the other things can come later. Just keep doing what your doing and your kids will appreciate it later in life.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 7:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I really want to give them everything, like better than what I got from my parents and my parents were very well off. I feel like I'm taking a step back. Not like I can take it back anyway, I guess it's my motivation to work hard. BTW this story is 7 years old, right now I'm searching super hard for a job because I lost my last job as an accountant :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:09 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Congrats on getting a degree!!
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 7:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Thanks...I'm actually thinking of doing online courses at University of Phoenix for my MSA (Master of Science in Accounting). Just give me something to do while I look for work. I wasn't planning on ever getting a Masters, I'm so sick of school. That's why I don't mind doing it at UoP instead of trying to get into the program at Fresno State, where I just graduated from.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:19 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have 5 kids and have never had a ton of money. There are tons of scholarships and free programs for children. PM me is you would like help with getting nice experiences for your kids. I have become sort of a "professional beggar" over the years. You can give your kids nice things, work to support yourself, stay off welfare(not that there is anything wrong with people on welfare) and be happy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:44 PM on May. 5, 2009