Why can't we read the Bible/Quran/other religious books in school but can read them in prison?

I got this question today by email so thought I'd ask?

1boy1girl4me

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 7:07 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They do.
    Anonymous

• Well not in a public school anyway I should say and you can't compare a school to a prison.

Anonymous

• You can read them in school, but you cannot teach any single one exclusively. It's about indoctrination, not the presences of some bound pieces of paper.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If we took away a prisoners 'rights' that would be sooo wrong! LOL

Interesting question!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I went to public schools and all throughout school I knew people who used the Bible as reading material for school. When I was real young kids did their book reports using chapters from the Bible, then in high school research projects for English were done using the Bible. I don't think schools can make it mandatory, but it is allowed to be used by students.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• because or system is all screwed up!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Students should learn some Bible just as a piece of literature otherwise they get to college not knowing the meaning of parts referred to in other pieces of literature like 'betrayed with a kiss' or others...and they're behind already.
    CubasFamily

Answer by CubasFamily at 7:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Any child may bring any religious text to school to read in their free time. They may not share the content of that book with anyone else.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:23 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My daughter just told me that all of the above religious books are available in her library at school- a public school. She also said people sit in the hallway and read their bibles and not one person says one thing to them. I don't know what kind of school system you have in your area but from what I've heard not only on this post but many others, it makes me sad...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Its all about choice.
    I brought my Bible to school all the time, and I could have brought a Quran or anything else, because I chose to read it. Now, a teacher couldn't have told me to or forced me to, but I could choose to. I could choose to take world religions as an elective (I did, actually), but they couldn't force me to learn about different religions if I didn't want to take that class. They don't want teachers/etc abusing their authority/influence over students that would infringe on their religious rights, or their parents' rights.
    I don' think they make you read them in prison, but again, if you WANT to, you can.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:25 PM on May. 5, 2009