• In the Spotlight:

Why can only 2 people run for president but 50 for Miss. USA?

just a question i got by email.

1boy1girl4me

Asked by 1boy1girl4me at 7:08 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• More than one person runs for President on election day, but for some reason the Libertarians and Independents *ahem* seem to magically turn into Democrats for the day and then proudly spout off for the next four years how they don't belong to either party that is scandalous. If they would stand up for and vote the man they claim to be a party of, we would have more than 2 candidates worth talking about.

Anonymous

• Because THANK GOD, Miss USA can't make decisions that will affect me or anyone else.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 7:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Answered at 6:11 PM on May. 5, 2009 by: LadyChamp "Because THANK GOD, Miss USA can't make decisions that will affect me or anyone else. " LOL I like that answer, but then again some of the people running for president arent fit to make the right decision either.....in some cases they are kind of like the 50 Miss USA canadiants!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 7:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's not that only 2 people can run for President, 100's COULD run--if they have a spare half billion dollars to burn--but ultimately only 2 (possibly a 3 as an Independent/Green Party) will be nominated to represent their party.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Angieluv said:
    " LOL I like that answer, but then again some of the people running for president arent fit to make the right decision either.....in some cases they are kind of like the 50 Miss USA canadiants!! "
    ----------------------------------------
    True, but some of these girls can't answer the SIMPLEST questions. Why do these women compete for Miss USA...it's about looks mostly right? I don't want someone who's worried about looks running my country. Heck, I don't want half the people who've been running for Pres. to be running my country, but I like our system of peaceful transition of power.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 7:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• LOLOLOL....how funny. ;-)
    Anonymous

• Because the people are only 2 party people. Democrats and Republicans. I am not sure, but, I don't think an Independent has ever won an election. That is why there are those that say we have a 2 party system. Lately, though, it looks like we are getting my folks leaning towards the Independent party. As for Miss USA. There are 50 states and one representative from each state. Only one can win. Much like the President. Only one presidential candidate can win. I do think we should allow them to run from the time they throw their hat into the ring until the people vote. No more just 1 dem, 1 rep, 1 indep. Let them all go to the bitter end. Might change some things around this country.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• More than 2 (or even 3) run, everytime. If you had paid attention to your voting materials, you would have seen that you had many more choices than just Dem or Rep. If I remember right, I had 7 choices at the end.

Has someone from another party ever won? No. But one party (like the Green Party) gets lots of the votes that would normally have gone to a similar party (like the Dems) - it makes the leaders of that larger party stop and think. It sends a message of "we do not like what you are doing, change it!" and the party usually listens.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Because you don't have to be very qualified to be pretty and look good in a swimsuit.
    Anonymous

Hahahahahahahahha you are ignorant. It is not that the Libertarians and etc don't vote for their candidates, it's just that the 2 party (Dems/Reps) make it EXTREMELY difficult for anyone else to be heard. Prime example, when Ron Paul but the STOMP on all the candidates, outsmarting them GREATLY, and even WITH enough votes/support, he wasn't allowed in certain debates. The Dems/Rep couldn't handle the heat! THey didn't want to look like fools. Don't worry, our time is coming.
    Anonymous