I feel like I'm not doing enough to educate my 1 year old. I go through the ABCs and 123s with her, colors, shapes, etc., but she's so smart and I see moms on TV with their babies doing algebra and feel like I'm not doing enough. Truth be told we spend most of the day just having fun which is what I thought was right, but now I'm begining to wonder if I'm not doing a good enough job.

MamaMaggie3

Asked by MamaMaggie3 at 7:25 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Play, play, play.

As you play, it's not a ball you're playing with...it's a "blue ball". She'll learn her colors.

As you build with blocks, it's not a block...it's the "A block" or even the "purple A block" She'll learn her letters (and who gives a hang about order. It's more important to recognize them than to be able to recite the alphabet)

She's not having crackers for lunch, she's having "three crackers". She'll learn to count.

When you're taking walks, it's not just a stop sign....it's a "red octagon sign". She'll learn her shapes.

I really don't know how a baby can do algebra since most infants can't yet count or speak to work problems out or give answers. Reasoning is a 7-8 year old skill...and is needed for algebra.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Just let her be a kid. They will teach them all of this with time.
    Anonymous

• don't stress yourself out over that. Believe me it sounds like your doing a wonderful job.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 7:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• she is 1 let her play
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I see this with a lot of moms. the one piece of advice I would give you is please don't compare your child to these other kids whose parents push them to do more. you are setting yourself up for disappointment. what i did with mine is i got learning blocks, flash cards, and a baby vsmile(which i don't like) and baby Einstein movies. which also keep them entertained. you can teach her while having fun with her. babies doing algebra is not right. that is too much for a baby. and it's unreal. pushing children to excel is one thing but pushing them too far can come back and bite you in the butt. trust me i was one of those children. my parents were always pushing for me to be in advanced classes. they just weren't for me even though i was doing well. but i had to work my butt off to get where i was. i didnt have time for anything but studying. just take it easy and have fun with her.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• In my humble opinion, you should just let her play and use her imagination. There will be plenty of time for her to learn.

Teach her sign language, it's age appropriate and most babies pick it up quickly.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• playing with you child is very important. Teach her to love to read, read everyday to her. She will be just fine. She is only one.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• She'll learn through playing alot better than through books and reading. Good luck.
    dimilinowski

Answer by dimilinowski at 8:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree - play, play, play! Do not have any "let's sit down and learn" lessons until she is actually in school and brings home homework. No flashcards, no drills, no actual "lessons". She is learning so much through her play - basic things we don't think about since we learned them so long ago...
    What happens to a popped bubble?
    Why can't I pour more into a full cup?
    Where did that bug I was looking at go?
    There is far more to life than ABC's and 123's. She'll get tons of that in the coming years. Let her play, develop art skills, stretch her imagination, discover the fun of using her body, learn silly songs... all the things the schools don't have the time to teach once she turns 5.

If you really want to have "learning goal"... try www.LetterOfTheWeek.com. Start with the suggestions for infants. And keep it fun!!!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:04 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Leave that poor kid alone!!!
    Anonymous