Why do people assume you do nothing if you stay at home with an older child with disabilities?

I have currently had to choose to quit my job to be at home with my high maintenance autistic child. He was put on half days. I hear alot of questions in regards to what do you do all day?

luvNshawnthomas

Asked by luvNshawnthomas at 7:26 PM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Because they are people that don't understand the responsiblites of rasing a child. Why is it a job if you work at a day care or babysit and not if you're a stay at home mom. Doesn't make sence to me!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• anyone who questions my job duties as a SAHM of a special needs child,,,,just signed up to volunteer! LOL ...no seriously! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:28 PM on May. 5, 2009

• that is because they do nothing!! SAHM work very hard if they are doing it right.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• SAHM's don't get much respect. I always here people say "I couldn't stand staying home all day everyday. How boring." Well actually, I am raising my children, that means playing with them and teaching them, then there is the never ending house work, and keeping the budget in check....It's not just oprah and long naps! Some people have no clue.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:06 AM on May. 6, 2009

• thanks everyone, it is awesome to have some SAHM support
    luvNshawnthomas

Answer by luvNshawnthomas at 12:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Oh honey! I would never ever ever think you sat around and did nothing with a kid in the house, especially an autistic child! If you do find 5 minutes to yourself or time to vacuum you are doing a damn good job! If they could step into your shoes for a day they would know exactly how hard your new job as a stay at home mom is!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:10 AM on May. 6, 2009