at what age did you start reading to your child?

i plan on starting as soon as possible! probably after getting settled into the house and bringing the new baby home (he's not here yet but not too much longer) and i have actually been told its going to be pointless to read to your baby so young cause they wont understand whats going on!so i was just wondering when you all started?

rkm0731

Asked by rkm0731 at 7:32 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I read to my children every day from the day they came home from the hospital. My kids both love to read now and read WAY above grade level. My daughter is in 6th grade and has a reading level of grade 13 (meaning college level). My son is in 4th grade and reads at a 7th grade level.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I was 31.

Oh, you mean my daughter's age. ;)

I started reading to her when I was pregnant, but she won't let me now. She wants to do it herself, but she's only two and can't read.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I read to him when he was in the womb and we still do to this day. He is very smart
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:34 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i started when she was a newborn, more along the lines of telling nursery ryhmes than it was reading actual books. people are right, they don't understand it, but they also don't understand you when you talk to them so what do they not talk to their babies? at that point its more of a comfort to hear your voice. as she got older i'd skip the story part and point out pictures and what they were, dog cat etc..now she is 3 and will ask every day, everyone in the house to read her a book at some point. she sits down with books on her own and makes up stories by the pictures. and she gets to pick out 3 stories each night before bed. i really think all that has to do with the fact that i introduced her to books and storytelling so early
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• when i was still pregnant
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• We started reading to our babes...in the womb. At about 30 weeks. I also played music . It is never toooo soon! :)

this is a great article on the benefits....

http://www.askbaby.com/reading-to-your-baby.htm

I
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• The oldest was about 3-4 months, the younger two were newborns because I was reading to their older brother(s).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Before birth. I disagree that it is pointless to read to them so early. It gets parents in the habit if nothing else. We have read to all of our babies from the time they were in the womb. Now that is their favorite time of the day. They are 10, almost three, and 15 months. They all loved reading time starting at about age six months.
    BTW...all three of them have advanced vocabularies for their ages.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You can start reading now while in womb. My kids got A's in school now they are 26-years old and did get A's in collage.That is because you need to read to get good grades and starting young helps you get in the habit in reading to them and they do pick up stuff. It is stupid to say they do not understand. I was not read to this is how I know the difference.
    Read to you kids all the time!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• when he was a baby
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:41 PM on May. 5, 2009