i'm thinkin of gettin a dog what would be the best breed for the whole family i have a 1 year old and a six year old and a not so big yard?

YAJALEX

Asked by YAJALEX at 9:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• I've had numerous dogs and by far, the best 2 dogs are my pembroke welsh corgi and a samoyed. I have 4 kids (3 of my own and a stepson ages 12, 10, 2 and 1). Feel free to email if you want to talk more about them!! Good luck!
    howlingwolf

Answer by howlingwolf at 10:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i have heard that the absolut best dog ever for a family is a golden retriever, i have a golden retriever german shephard mix and she is lovely!
    4weeman

Answer by 4weeman at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would suggest a Golden Retriever, they're very patient and lovable dogs. We have a Golden, and he is the best dog I have ever had, they are very smart and easy to train, I think you would be very happy with this breed.
    sunshinecalimom

Answer by sunshinecalimom at 10:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Rottweiler. I know, I know. But they really do have a bad name. Our 5 yr old Rott is by far the best dog we have ever had. We have been through a few. My folks have too and in my opinion their lab was the worst. He bit two kids while they had him. My Rott has only growled at unknown males that come to the house. He allows children to walk up to him freely. Oh, and my folks currently have a mastiff and he has yet to have once accident in the house or chew anything up.
    SamsMom125

Answer by SamsMom125 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We have a bassett hound! She is the best dog ever. She was only six months old when my oldest was born. She has always been so gental w all the kids. She is a great dog and not super active so no need for a huge back yard LOL!
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 11:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Honestly, the best dog around a one year old is a stuffed animal. Dogs and one year olds *often* do not mix. I am just putting this in as a disclaimer, so you know that toddler years can be hard on a dog if they are not very patient.

For the best luck of success, it would be nice to find a dog that was raised around a toddler/young kids in a home environment. This can make a huge difference. A humane society dog needs to be teased and tested around your children before you even think about taking them home. The can test (put rocks in a can and drop it), pulling on the dogs tail, ears, and legs, and seeing if the dog responds badly to things like being on his back.
    knitafish

Answer by knitafish at 11:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If looking solely at breeds, you have a few that have a good chance of success. If I weren't a sucker, this would of been my personal good temperment list. The absolute best dogs to have around a young child are golden retrievers, irish setters, a schnauzer, a labrador, poodles, or a Bichon Frise. My absolute *favorites* around a toddler age for a smaller dog are a schnauzer or a poodle, they are available in several sizes. Their intelligence, fondness for treats, and willing to please make it easier to enforce your will.

Honestly, there is a longer list if the child is over 4. I have a fairly long list of no-no dogs.
    Stay away from Chihuahuas until the child is over 5.
    knitafish

• I have noticed that the general consensus on the most family-friendly dogs is either the Golden Retriever or Labrador Retriever. If you are leaning more towards protection... Pure-bred German Shepherds are not as family-friendly but mixes that include this breed seem to work really well.
    Wawakwane

Answer by Wawakwane at 11:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• neo mastiff they dont need a big year they love to be with you and mine were great with kids
    Anonymous

• We love our Basset Hound. She lets the kids pull her and tug her to no avail and has never gotten aggressive. She's lazy as hell, so she needs very little running space. The worst thing about them is that they will steal your food if you blink! But we've learned to leave no meat unattended
    bvona

Answer by bvona at 12:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2008