Dropping hCG levels?

So last week I was rushed to the ER because I was having severe abdominal pains. According to my husband I was also sweating profusely, blacking out, and I felt cold to the touch. I am 9 weeks pregnant and they did all sorts of blood work and tests but could not find the reason of my abdominal pain. They performed an ultrasound and confirmed that baby was okay and that I was not miscarrying. My midwife sent me to get more blood work done on Saturday and yesterday and my blood results showed that my hCG levels had dropped. So now they are sending me to have an ultrasound to make sure that the pregnancy is viable and that everything is okay. I haven't had any cramping since last Thursday and I never bled through any of all this. Has anybody experienced a drop in hCG and went on to have a normal healthy pregnancy?

Princefan6684

Asked by Princefan6684 at 7:35 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I answered my own question....I did some research and this is what I found from medhelp.com

The hCG levels will peak at about 8-12 weeks of pregnancy and then will decline, remaining at lower levels throughout the remainder of the pregnancy. If the levels are questionable, an ultrasound scan should be used to diagnose the pregnancy outcome. Ultrasound findings are much more accurate at diagnosing pregnancy viability after 5-6 weeks gestation than hCG levels are.
    Guideline to hC
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 8:19 AM on May. 6, 2009

• i hate to say it, but i've never heard of it. normally in a healthy pregnancy your HCG levels almost double daily in the begining and continue to rise throughout the pregnancy, hence all the hormonal issues being preg. if you did have a miscarriage i'm terribly sorry and you can message me if you like, i had two miscarriages one i went to the er b/c i had bad cramps and was spotting and there was nothing visible when they did the ultrasound. the second i didn't know i had miscarried til i went in for a ultrasound at 8 weeks and there was no heartbeat. i'm not trying to be a downer, just saying you may want to prepare yourself for the worst.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• if there is a drop then it is miscarriage , it happened 3 times to me...
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I really hope that all is well with the pregnancy. My levels did not drop, but they did start off low and did not double like they wanted them to. I am 15 weeks today and baby is great. Just try to stay off your feet as much as possible and what ever you do DO NOT stress about anything at all. I will be praying for you. Good Luck
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 7:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• yes! Levels do go up and down....slightly. If you used two different labs...that can also be the reason.

...this happened to me. My levels dropped ...slightly.

I had already lost 2 babies and when the levels dropped...so did my heart. He is now a very rambuncious 5 year old.

I hope it turns out ok for ya! Take care and try...really try to get some rest.

hugs
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Dropping is never good, HCG level is supposed to double daily. I hope it all turns out ok
    Anonymous

• Droping in hcg is not good, I have had three miscarriages... although they do have progesterone sup that help keep the levels up. I would suggest asking your doctor to put you on those if everything is still okay. I wish you the best!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 8:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Like the previous posters have said, drops in HCG levels usually leads to miscarriage, but not always. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers hun. I hope everything works out. Try to keep your feet up and stay rested as much as possible.
    21noahsmama21

Answer by 21noahsmama21 at 12:51 AM on May. 6, 2009