Vaginal Swelling

I'm just over 37 weeks and I noticed a few days ago while I was wiping my vagina is swollen and it's darker in color. I have no pain and no itch (so I don't think it's infection). Is this normal in late pregnancy? And why? I was thinking that the increased blood flow and the fact that my baby has dropped is causing this. (More pressure causing painless swelling and increased blood flow causing the change in color) I don't know though, it was just a thought.

Off topic, but I have another question. Around the same time I noticed the swelling I noticed a white, sometimes tinged in yellow, snotty discharge. There is no odor and it's not very liquidy, its more..clumpy...like snot. I know I'm probably not describing it the best, sorry. I was wondering if this could be the start of me losing my mucous plug?

Thanks!

Miss_Kay

Asked by Miss_Kay at 7:38 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My friend said at like 36 weeks her vajajay turned purple and swollen, she said it looked like 2 blue twinkies lol so don't be worried, i'm 34 weeks and mine is a lil more swollen than normal too. It sounds like you could be losing pieces of your mucus plug, GL
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• As for the swelling, this is common in pregnancy. I had it in my 2nd trimester, and was told that is like vericois (sp) veins down there. As long as there is no itching or burning its ok.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 8:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's normal. You have a lot of weight (baby, uterus, amniotic fluid, and placenta) pressing down in your pelvis. The mucus sounds like your mucus plug. But remember we lose this continuously throughout pregnancy and it regenerates. It's no indication of labor.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Im 23 weeks preg and i also swell, but i think its my hormones because after sex its back to normal
    woodsbrunch7

Answer by woodsbrunch7 at 8:20 PM on May. 5, 2009