Is $12.25/hr crazy for a 45 min comute?

Do you think that a wage of 12.25/hr is insane for a 45 min commute or is it ok? do tell........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you can survive off of that. Just do it until you find something better.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:21 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I make $15.00 an hour and make an Hour commute I think its worth it! If you drive a gas saver!
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 7:43 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It sucks, but could they have hired from their area? I don't think they care if you commute, most businesses don't!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Depends on the cost of living in your area
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i think its worth it where i live w/the cost of living, but if the cost of living is alot higher than this area than probably not
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:45 PM on May. 5, 2009

• try to figure it out this way, how much gas would it take each week to get you to and from work? then figure out the price, then add in child care, if you are paying for that, and the cost of eating while at work or on your way to work. if you still would be making enough so that its worth it for you than go for it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Jobs are hard to come by right now. I'd do it til you find something better
    Anonymous

• In Las Vegas a 10 minute cab drive costs you about $15 so no thats not awful. Besides you save a ton compared to owning a car/insurance/gasoline etc.
    Anonymous

• Ya gotta do what you gotta do. We live out in the country, so even going to the store is a 45 minute ride for us. My hubby drives over an hour---but makes 3x that.
    toomanypoodles

Answer by toomanypoodles at 2:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Have you crunched the numbers? Is it 45 minutes in each direction by car? Take the miles and multiply it by the current mileage reimbursement numbers. That pretty accurately covers gas and upkeep. You'd have to consider tolls and parking in addition. Multiply that amount by (I assume ) five days and sutract that from your weekly after tax take home pay. Someone else mentioned calculating in other work related expenses as well. But you are right the mileage is a killer if you're driving.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:34 PM on May. 6, 2009