lunchmeat

so i am 15 weeks preggo and I was wondering if anyone else has eaten lunchmeat.
I have heard that it is not good to eat while preggo, but hubby just bought some honey roasted turkey breast and I want to make me a sandwich so bad....

Married2daBest

Asked by Married2daBest at 7:45 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I ate it throughout...I guess it can get Listeria or something like that, but really if it's not gone bad then there probably won't be any worries.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I ate lunch meat while I was pregnant before I knew it was one of the foods you're really not supposed to have. It is okay if you cook it for a minute or too, though. I'm pretty sure our mother's ate lunch meat when they were pregnant before anyone knew it was bad. We came out fine, didn't we?
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I must have missed that one. I didn't eat a lot of lunch meat (mostly because I didn't have a lot of money, lol) but I did eat it occasionally throughout all 3 of my pregnancies & my kids are 14, 6, & 5 now & all had full term normal deliveries & are very healthy kids.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I ate lunchmeat at the very beginning of my pregnancy until I found out from my doc that you shouldn't eat it unless its been cooked for a few mins. I've followed what she said pretty much to a T. I'm such having some lunchmeat every once and awhile won't hurt, but I wouldn't eat it all the time. I think these warnings about lunchmeat are fairly new and I don't know how many studies have been done or what sort of research they have been doing on women who eat it during pregnancy, but obviously there is a reason they are telling women not to eat it so I would listen. You are out of your 1st trimester which is when the majority of birth defects occur so I doubt it would have any effect now but what do I know.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Listeria is the big issue with lunchmeat, but they don't tell you that only 2500 people a year get it, and it's very very very common in a lot of things. I've eaten lunchmeat through both pregnancies. After all, almost everything can make you sick these days: good lord you can get salmanilla from peanut butter!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I usually just heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and then throw it in the freezer for a minute to cool it off!
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 8:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You can heat it up until it steams to prevent listeria. I ate it all the time, cold.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Look...Try telling a pregannt woman what she cant a can eat....I know there are things we just cant eat...But a sandwich? comon....I dont eat it everyday but I do eat Deli meats...I DID MY RESEARCH.....only 1500 people in the WORLD per year....get it from a well known store that goes through meat often and you can even ask to see the date if you want....AND WEATHER ITS 1500 OR 2500 PEOPLE THAT GET IT A YEAR AS SAID ABOVE....PLEASE REMEMBER THAT 6 BILLION PEOPLE LIVE ON THIS EARTH.....SO 1500-2500 ARE VERYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOW..........HAVE A SANDWICH
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 8:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my doc told me to rinse it onder warm water and put it in the microwave for a few seconds. Your not supposed to eat it because it is cold meat which can contain bacteria. I also wanted it really bad.....lol.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:20 PM on May. 5, 2009