How can I transfer my infant from thumbsucking to a pacifier?

My 3 week old son only likes to suck when he is breastfeeding and when its my pinkie finger. This hinders me from being able to set him down and get things done. How can I try and integrate a pacifier in there??

kweenspade0503

Asked by kweenspade0503 at 7:46 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would you want to? Pacifiers are horrible
    Anonymous

• Both of my kids were bf for the most part and never wanted a paci. I wouldn't force it if I were you. Can you show him his own thumb maybe?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• His thumb is too small he cant get good suction with it. He gets frustrated.
    kweenspade0503

Answer by kweenspade0503 at 7:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• He is pretty young though! Screw the chores, just chill there and watch tv (I loved the news for some reason) and let him nurse or suck your finger! 3 weeks is TINY!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My LO refuses a pacifier and always has. She's a boob only kind of gal. I have heard though that if you kind of tease them with it they may take it. Offer it and when they start sucking, pull it out a little bit. keep doing this for a few days and supposedly it works. It's like reverse pshycology. Make them want what they can't have. I read this in a parenting mag so who knows. It may be the kind of pacifier you are offering also. I think alot of moms have to try several different kinds before their LO finds one to their liking, kind of like bottle nipples.
    witchdoctor

Answer by witchdoctor at 7:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well I don't recommend a pacifiers. But you may try dipping it in formula or the flavored ones. My daughter sucker her thumb. When she was newborn. Even in my stomach
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 7:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• babies need to suck, it is a way they self sooth and it comforts them.and thats what pacis are for, try the soothie brand, its the one hospitals use and sometimes also it helps to stick your finger in the hole in the back until she gets a good suction.I cannot imagine sitting all the times your baby needs to suck, you poor mom!
    No child ever had permanent damage from using a paci...dont let others tell you different.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:07 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Pacifiers aren't horrible. Both of my girls started taking them around 4-5 weeks and gave them up (one on her own, the other with a little encouragement) around 5 months. Some babies need them, others don't. As long as you're not planning on keeping them around into the toddler years, and you know you have the willpower to wean her from it, no harm... Just keep offering it. You may try different kinds. My first loved the soothie, my second liked the avent one. She may never take it, but she is still young. I'd say keep trying with the paci, but as others have said, at 3 weeks your #1 responsibility should be to soothe your baby, so don't worry so much about the things that need to be done. (That said, as a mother of 2, I have noticed that people are quick to throw out this advice without knowing the mom's situation...) Hang in there, get a sling, and keep trying the pacifier.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2009

• When a baby needs to suck then they'll suck into the air (and no it didn't cause gas in my situation or friends I have talked to) or she sucked her hand. Pacie's aren't natural, DON'T force something they DON'T need
    Anonymous

• Put the baby to your breast if he wants to suck. First of all it helps build your supply which is still being established. Second, a pacifier is a breast replacement not the other way around. Breast fed babies meet their sucking needs through nursing. Pacis are for bottle fed babies, they do not have to work to eat therefore do not get sucking satisfaction.
    Anonymous