Baby Overweight??

My LO was born 6 weeks preemie and weighed 5.8 lbs. She's 8 mso now and 18lbs. I think she is absolutely adorable. Everywhere I go, someone comments on how chunky she is and act amazed as if she were green or something. I don't really see it and I think chubby babies are super cute! She is BF only, she's not really into the solids thing yet although I do try. My SO thinks she needs to lose weight. I have to laugh at this. He doesn't really know anything about babies, but he's afraid she will grow up overweight and be made fun of. He and I are both very thin people so I doubt that will be the case. I was a chubby kid until 1st grade and then was a stick figure. I am just amazed at how all of my family members and perfect strangers really think she's like off the charts chubby. Am I blind? When do you have to worry?

witchdoctor

Asked by witchdoctor at 7:47 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A baby cannot be overweight
    Anonymous

• babies are supposed to have rolls of fat on them. you worry when your babies doc tells you to, before then don't worry about it. soon she'll start to grow alot taller and the weight will even itself out
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:50 PM on May. 5, 2009

• First of all, she is not overweight. Second, my son was exclusively breastfed and at 8 mos. he weighed 20lbs. He was about the 50th percentile for weight and the 25th for height. Looking at pictures of him now I can see why people called him chunky. At age two he is in the 25th percentile for weight and very slightly higher for height. Keep feeding her when she is hungry and she will even out once she starts walking around, there is no need to worry.
    xmum

Answer by xmum at 8:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• She sounds completely healthy to me. My son isn't even 6 months yet and is almost 20 pounds. Don't even worry about it. As she gets more active she'll even out and lose a lot of the rolls. Enjoy them now before they're gone!! That's what I do with my boy!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• First off the mere fact that she is BF makes it nearly impossible for her to be OVERWEIGHT. Babies are supposed to have FAT- its baby fat its a different kind of fat than what we have. Once she starts walking it will start to melt off. I was a chubby baby and did not thin out til around 3 or 4 years old. And I was skinny from then on.

Like the other poster said WHEN YOUR DOCTORS SAYS SOMETHING..... THEN WORRY. TIL THEN- KEEP IT UP MOMMA!
    esthermarie

Answer by esthermarie at 8:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My dd was "fat" fatter babies are cute I had always thought so lol Then when my baby was chubby it was even cuter. Everyone talked about how chubby she was. She had rolls even on her arms lol I called her my budda baby:) She is now 2 26 lbs and 34 inches tall I beleive. Not even close to chubby. Your doc will tell you if your lo is over weight and anyone that says she is fat...Take it as a compliment to you excelent feeding abilities :)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 8:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• A BF baby that is on fed BM from the breast can NOT be overfed...ask you LC for reassurance
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• 18 pounds she should be fine. My son is almost 20 pounds and he'll be 10 months on the 18th.
    Ask your peditrician or doctor about it. My son's doctor think he is very healthy.
    Linjeannine89

Answer by Linjeannine89 at 8:55 PM on May. 7, 2009