Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do if a substitute teacher physically assaulted students?

Yesterday, I posted a question about is it ok for a teacher to tell kids to shut up. Today I got more information and I'm not sure what, if anything to do.

My son's in the 3rd grade. His substitute yesterday said "God damnit, just shut up" to the class and called a girl fat. Today more details came out. Apparently she is an older lady with a cane, and she used that cane to hit several students. One got hit in the throat and nearly vomited. My son said that when he was tying his shoe she walked over and squeezed his neck and shook him.

I called the principal today, but he never returned my call. My son said that his teacher said that sub will never be allowed in the school again, so I know the admin is aware of the problem. If they promise to never hire her again, I can let it go. But should I call the police and file a report regardless, so that there is a record of her behavior? What is the next step?


Asked by goldenfox at 7:50 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 3 (17 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • i would contact the school board, she may not teach at your sons school again but that doesn't mean she won't teach at other schools unless they report it. so i would call the school board and file a report with them, as for contacting the police, i would call the non emergency line and ask what if anything you can do to report it.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 7:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • I would go to the school board and file a formal complaint.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • You can contact your local family services or even the child neglect hotline. Even if your school doesn't hire her, would you want her out there yelling at someone else's kids in a different school district. You did the right thing by calling the principal!

    Answer by lil-lost1 at 7:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • Absolutely! Let the school know you will be filing a report! That's insane!

    Answer by mamaada at 7:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • I would be going into the school and talking to the principal. Then I would be filing a complaint with the school board and State Board of Education. It sounds like this teacher is past the time to retire. I would not be comfortable until I knew she wouldn't be teaching at any school, it sounds like she is too old to be teaching anymore. Keep us updated please.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • I would march my ass into that school and go book of revelations on someone! There is no excuse to swear, or make violent physical contact with students ever.

    Answer by salexander at 10:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • The school is going to go into "damage control" mode. I think your best bet it to do a poliece report to ensure that this abusive woman isn't allowed to work at more schools.


    Answer by dreyamom at 11:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • That should be police report not poliece report. sorry.


    Answer by dreyamom at 11:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • Yea you should call the non emergency number because sometimes schools will try to cover up the situation. Good luck Mama

    Answer by pnwmom at 1:37 AM on May. 6, 2009