How often should my infant be eating at three weeks old?

It seems like he wants to nurse all the time and it gets exhausting!

kweenspade0503

Asked by kweenspade0503 at 7:55 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh mama I feel you. My baby is 3 and a half weeks and he is formula fed. For breastfeeding tho, I have heard its so much harder because they nurse around the clock for the first few weeks at least. I have a group of preg and new moms, maller group and really friendly. I will send you an invite and you can get some support.
    But yep foir now mama, anyrimes she wants to eat, she'll eat. hang in there hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• give baby a pacie to make sure that it is not just the sucking motion wanted
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• You're right on track. My daughters always nursed every hour or so until they were about 4-5 months. Not as often at night.. but really, all day long. Some babies are just like that (or some women's bodies need to feed them like that). Also, 3 weeks is a common age for a major growth spurt. Hang in there... but do try to keep feeding her on demand. With my first I made the mistake of thinking that too much was too much, that babies only needed to eat every 2 hours, and so I tried to hold her off.. .making her miserable, and keeping my milk supply from meeting her demand (I ended up in a bad cycle of supplementing with formula). I'd say anywhere between every 45 min to every 2 hours is right on target for this age. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Should I wake my baby up to eat every hour or so or should i just let him sleep.
    kweenspade0503

Answer by kweenspade0503 at 8:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Oh no... definitely let him sleep!! The only time to do that is in the first few days of life if they're not nursing every few hours, and that's just to establish your milk supply. At 3 weeks, nurse on demand, and sleep when he sleeps. And don't stress about every hour... really, that was just my experience. Lots of moms are nursing less frequently.. go with his cues and you'll be golden :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:37 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Don't wake him! He'll wake when he's hungry! You don't want to get him into the habit of waking every hour to eat because then it will be really hard to break it. I'd say if he's awake then he should be eating every three hours, but I always fed my son on demand.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:12 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Nurse on demand. At 3 weeks, if the baby were to sleep for more then 5-6 hrs I might wake for a quick nursing session. Maybe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• He should nurse and sleep as much as he wants because that's what he needs...and so do you! You are doing great, you should be exhausted if you have a 3 week old LOL!
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 2:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• when my baby was that young thats all she wanted to do. i would suggest a binky. it saved me a lot. if she could she would finish off a whole can of formula. haha
    casslynn09

Answer by casslynn09 at 2:13 AM on May. 6, 2009