Safe to eat deer meat?

I know there are a bunch of foods to avoid while pregnant, but I don't recall ever seeing anything about wild game. I just defrosted a pound of deer meat (not bought from a store). I was going to make chili with it, but now I am scared. It wasn't bought from a store, but I know who killed it, when, where, and when he processed it. I have also eaten the meat before I was pregnant, and it didn't make me sick, but does anyone know if wild game has anything in it that could harm a fetus???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Provided that venison is handled and cooked properly it should be safe for women to eat during pregnancy. Proper handling means that it is refrigerated and thawed properly, that cross-contamination is avoided, that it is cooked properly and thoroughly and that proper hand washing is used. You must cook the meat very thoroughly to a safe temperature (which would be 165' F for meat from wild game animals), using a meat thermometer. Undercooked venison can cause toxoplasmosis, which can very dangerous to both the mother and baby.

Caution is urged if the venison is used for jerky or sausage, as some additional precautions are necessary to prepare venison safely in this manner.

-- Kimberly, RD LD

http://www.pregnancy.org/question/venison-safe-pregnancy
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:02 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i dont remember hearing anything wrong with it
    i think it should be fine
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i think as long as it is cooked properly you are probably ok. i've never seen anything that says not to and since you know where it came from i'm sure you would have heard if there was a break out of anything weird in the animals in that area.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:59 PM on May. 5, 2009