How can I make more milk?

I had to go back to work and I am able to pump, but my 4 1/2 month old girl eats more than I can produce:( Any ideas on how to increase my milk supply?? I don't want to have to give her formula, but I am almost out.

DividingAnt

Asked by DividingAnt at 7:59 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink lots and lots of water and make sure you eat regularly, You have to supply something to be made into milk. Pump often and breastfeed when possible. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 8:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Anonymous

• My son is 4 1/2 months too. Just went through the same thing. It's time to start them on solids. But I did go get some Mothers milk tea and I would get fenugreek if it was around here. It's ah herb to make a tea out of. And some extra pumping or do it yourself in the shower may help. The ladies just need a little more stimulation. But i will give my son one small bottle of formula and feed him baby food at night. They can't live off of just the boob forever. Sounds normal to me. I'd try to find that tea though, it seems to have helped and is easy.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 8:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Oatmeal, pump more often, breast compressions, 60 oz of water daily...also make sure the daycare is not overfeeding...1 oz an hour while you are gone...so every 2 hours eatting 2oz bottles every 3 hours eatting 3 oz bottles etc...
    see? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• TickledTrauma-actually a BF baby can have just the "boob" for a full 12 months with nothing else if she wanted too...the breastmilk adapts to a babies nutritional needs...and it BEST to wait til 6 months for solids..
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Tabi_cat is right!

How long are you gone and how much is the child care provider giving? Do you nurse immediately before dropping off and immediately after pick up? That can help :)
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Make sure that she's only getting one ounce per hour of separation. Try to do more of the things on the "help" list and fewer of the ones on the "hurt" list: http://custommademilk.wordpress.com/2008/12/19/to-help-to-hurt-milk-supply/ Also, nurse nurse nurse when you and your little one are together. You can increase supply by pumping one side while she nurses on the other, and then let her finish on the breast that you just pumped and let her nurse there for as long as she wants. Switch sides frequently, this stimulates supply. Store the pumped milk for the next day.

You can also pump for 15 minutes after every nursing session. This tells your body to MAKE MORE NOW!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:03 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Drink lots of water, at least 6 oounces evertime you pump or nurse. Look at a picture of your baby when you pump. Take brewers yeast tabs. Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby. Pump before you nurse on the weekends.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I find the only way that I can pump effectively, is to pump 1 side while baby is nursing on the other. That way, I'm already letting down & it is not an extra disruption to my already too full day. When you are home, latch that baby!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:55 AM on May. 9, 2009