Would you have a problem with this?

If your 12 year old child was invited to a school camp for one week but one of the rules was that you are not allowed to initiate contact with your own child while they are there would you let them go? The camp is run by the school and will be chaperoned, but they are not allowed to have phones. There is a payphone, apparently, but you're not supposed to call, it's only if your kid wants to call you. I don't see a problem with banning cell phones, but the fact that you're not allowed to call your own child for a week wouldn't sit well with me. For the record, I read about this in another forum, it's not my child going to camp. I was surprised at how many parents thought the child in questions mother was being overprotective and unreasonable for wanting to be able to contact her own child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• no way in hell is ANYONE gonna tell me i cant contact MY child!!!!
    no way would i let him go!!!!
    that sounds very creepy
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:06 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My child would'nt go anywhere if i can't have contact with them, not for a week or a day. I don't care if it's put on by the school. That just does'nt sit well with me AT ALL.
    Anonymous

• I have to admit I would NOT be OKAY with the school ran camp tell ME that I can not "initiate" a phone call with my child. But I think that in general you usually do not have a way to just talk to your kids at camp. I mean when I went to camp I was little. I remember no one really talked on the phone and we had a blast. If we were allowed to get phone calls the phones would be ringing non stop and half the time kids would be on the phone. So although I do NOT like the way the camps rules are worded- I think this is actual pretty normal camp expectation.
    esthermarie

Answer by esthermarie at 8:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My child would not go! period. . In this world....It pays to be more over protective than not. Just call me a super psyco...I don't care. LOL At least I will be able to sleep at nite. LOL

signed psyco mom...
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No. I find it highly suspicious that I cannot contact my own child. The whole idea of "if your child wants to contact you, they can, but you can't contact them" makes me think they're going to try to brainwash them and convince them their parents don't love them or something. I'm sure they wouldn't, but I wouldn't let my child go. That's just too....weird for me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• WOW...I went to camp when I was a kid. My parents didn't have a way to contact me unless it was an emergency. There was a payphone if we wanted to call our parents. And that was WAY before cellphones.
    If it is run by his normal school I wouldn't worry. If you trust them to take care of your kids for nine hours a day I don't see why you wouldn't trust them to take good care of him at camp..
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I don't agree with the wording either, but I understand the sentiment. If they said the kids couldn't call you either, that would be different! And I'm sure there are ways to contact the adults in charge to find out how your child is doing. I would be okay with it if I spoke with the adults ahead of time and let them know I'd be in regular contact with THEM. And I would have an agreement with my child as to them calling me-if they want to go, they'll call me on such & such a day, or every day, or whatever I felt necessary-BEFORE they could go. At 12 yrs old, as long as the child understands the policy, they aren't going to feel abandoned or anything. If they think of you, and want to talk to you, they can call. If they aren't calling, they are doing just fine without you. If you don't think they can handle being even just that independent, then no, don't send them, but at 12 yrs old, you should both be ok with some separation!
    crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 9:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I went to camp as a kid and my parents could only call in case of an emergency. I don't see anything wrong with it. One of the reasons a child goes to camp is to learn to be independent and do things without their parents. If my sons school had a camp like that and I could have afforded it, I would have gladly sent him. I know many kids that go to camp and don't even miss their parents and that is how it should be. They should be having so much fun that they don't even realize their parents aren't around. Let them go and have fun.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• that strikes me in a odd way so that would be a definate N-O. just makes me wonder whats going on at the camp that they dont want the parents to call and yeah they might have payphones but whose to say they might not even let the kids use them so there goes total loss of communication. creepy .
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 10:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Nope, I find it highly suspect that the camp wants to cut of the normal level of communication that takes place today between kids and parents.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 11:08 PM on May. 5, 2009