what ADD meds have you given your children? or any other advice or comments

i am starting my 9 yo old son on medication for his ADD. he is in the 4th grade and was diagnosed in the 2nd grade.he has the inattentive type so he is not hyperactive.he has always had difficulty focusing but he has been able to get through school with a solid B average because he works really hard but now it's getting more difficult.his school work requires much more focus now that math and writing assignments are getting more complicated and now his grades are starting to slip.focus is his only problem because if i sit with him(not do the work for him)he is able to produce quality work because i force him to stay on task(i can lose him in the middle of a math problem).i know his teachers can't be expected to do this so his class work is what's suffering.does anyone have any advice,comments,or experiences you could share?i will meet with his pediatrician next week but wanted to get some parent insight first...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on May. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Medication should be the last resort for ADD/ADHD. The first thing that you need to do is find a therapist with works with children (or adults) to help them learn how to use ADD/ADHD to their advantage. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/
    Next, you need to focus on the effects of foods on behavior. The Feingold organization works around the world on this issue: www.feingold.org.
    Finally, supplementation. Fish oil, hemp oil or other balanced DHA can help tremendously. Start now, so your child is ready for school in the fall; it can take a couple of months to be effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Well, my kids have ADHD and are major hyper, so I doubt mine will be much help, but they take Focalin XR. Something else they take, which is supposed to really help with focus and such, is fish oil. Or, it's also known as Omega... 3, 6, or 9. I buy some liquid fish oil in the store, flavored with citrus, they take a teaspoon a day at dinnertime. We've only recently started the fish oil, so I can't say for sure how effective it is, but I know a lot of people swear by it, including their dr, and their eye dr. Hope that helps a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• we tried adderal, that wasnt great for him, concerta worked for a while, he is now on vyvance n it is best so far, but every kid reacts to the diff meds different
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:49 PM on May. 5, 2009

• My son is ADHD, the inattentive type also. We tried Adderall, Concerta and Ritalin. We finally found and really like Vyvanse. Vyvanse has less side affects than any other of the meds that we have tried. He has even gained weight on Vyvanse. I highly recommend Vyvanse. Also, schedules really helped my son. I keep his bedtime pretty consistant and homework time the same. It really helps my son if there is music or the tv in the background. It makes him concentrate more on his work. Works for me too, I have ADD also but do not take meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• my son has adhd and odd and he been on alot of meds in a year times focalin and made him have ticks adderall made him mean ritalin took him off it didnt work and now he on resperdal or something like that but we might be putting him on a nother meds
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 10:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have ADD.   My suggestion is Caffeine. Seriously, give the kid some coffee and see what happens.  Several years ago I had some cold symptoms and wanted something warm to help my throat feel better so I made coffee.  I kid you not, I got my entire house clean without getting distracted.  I was finally able to focus.  After that I did some checking and found out that for some with ADD who would do well on a low dose of something, caffeine can be helpful. If I remember right 100mg of caffeine is roughly the equivallent of 10 mg of ritalin.
    K.D.

Anonymous

• Don't do it... They always go straight for the drugs... It can be extremely irritating and the teachers Im sure will struggle... Tell them to suck it up... =D
    youngmomma0618

Answer by youngmomma0618 at 10:40 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I'm a child of ADD and the harsh reality of rude teachers and school boards.
    My mother was told I would be kicked out of that school unless I was put on some sort of ADD med. My mother was not impressed, switched me schools and decided to go natural.
    The caffine part is awesome, I notice as well when I have caffine I can focus better, but too much gets me out of whack. Your child under any circumstance, DOES NOT NEED TO BE ON MEDICATION FOR SOMETHING THAT CAN BE HELPED NATURALLY. Don't feel you have to give into society. Those meds are very harmful, no matter what the Dr's say. Give your son lots of fresh foods, nothing too porcessed, get him to bed on time and maybe a shot of caffine at the beginning of his day and you will see changes imediately. My mom made sure I ate good and frequently, s\got alot of rest and kept my caffine in take at a minimum to just help out and I got along in life just fine. =)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 10:43 PM on May. 5, 2009