should i ask for my car seat back?

i lent my childs carseat to a mate it cost me alot of money and i gave it to her in beautiful condition she even said how new it looked (i gave it a real good clean) anyway she poped over the other day and i walked them back to car and saw the carseat it was dirty as and had a rip in it i was so devastated she has only had it for 4months and her son still has atleast a year in this one i always wanted it back and she knows this but i not even pregnant i dont like hurting people's feeling and feel to ashame to tell her to wash it look after it all give it back i cant afford and really dont want to have to go buy a new one when the time comes what should i do and what would you do?

tumtum360

Asked by tumtum360 at 8:25 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i think that you lent it to her and are kind of stuck with the results. you could just say hey looks like someone made a mess and see if she takes a hint, but if you aren't preg and ask for it back it's probably going to hurt your friends feelings, so its really a matter of whats more important to you? is she a good friend? good enough so that you can just suck it up and buy a new seat when the time comes, or is she not a good enough friend so that you won't mind if it hurts her or puts her in a bad spotlight when you ask her to take it back. i'm assuming since its already ripped you probably won't want to use it anyways when the time comes, at least i wouldn't want to so i'd just chock it up as a loss and not loan out any other stuff that i expected back in decent condition
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think if it's that dirty it's probably stained and you won't ever get it cleaned back up to looking new again. Also if it's ripped do you really want it back? I would be thoroughly annoyed and frustrated but would just have to think 'at least it's being used, I was able to do something nice for that kid giving him a nice seat for a little while' and then just wait until you are needing one again and look for another one. Sorry this has happened but I'm sure her son appreciates having a comfy seat to sit in, so it's for the best.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 8:30 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would be extremely upset as well. That is no way to take care of a borrowed item. However, with saying that, it is extremely difficult to keep a child's carseat looking great. I would chalk it up to error or a lesson learned and forget about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:31 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If you lend something out, you have the right to expect it to be returned in the same condition...but realistically, don't count on it.

Are you sure she knew it was just a loaner? Maybe she was under the impression you gave it to her so she's not being as careful.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry this happened to you.
    For this very reason, I never lend out anything that I expect to use again.
    It is difficult to lend items to people and expect to come back in the same condition it went out in.
    Again, I'm sorry. I would say to just cut your losses and buy a new one if you need to in the future.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:31 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would get a new one. I never use a used carseat i don't allow other child in my childs carseat. Ask her to give you some money because she did'nt take care of the seat, I would never allow my child to be in anything dirty no matter what everything can be washed. She owes you money and hurting her feeling or not she hurt your feelings. Tell her that..
    Anonymous

• thanks for the advice yes she knew it was on loan as i didnt want to give it in first place but she asked if she could cause she couldn't afford one and i felt sorry for her i am really pissed off im to scared to tell my partner because i never asked him if i could give it and he was really upset that i did because we are only on the one income and he paid for it i feel so stupid but will take this as a lesson to say no in the future
    Anonymous

• i dont know what id do, but thats pretty cruddy of your friend
    sorry hun
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Not sure what part of this question is "Just for Fun" but when I give things I don't intend to get them back. It's been my experience that what happened to you is common. I'd save up and buy something new if I needed another one.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It was nice of you to help out your friend, and unfortunatly she disrepected you by ruining your property. I have been through this, I lent a ton of clother ($200 worth) & a pack play to a friend. The clothes (size 0-9 months) where so ruined I had to throw them away, as well the pack play which was brought brand new, and had a hole in it when she returned it. Again sorry this happened to you!!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:27 AM on May. 6, 2009