How to become a graphic designer?

My husband wants a career change and is interested in graphic design. He has researched a few schools, like Westwood College and Phoenix U Online, but they are very expensive and I don't know if their degrees are respectable. Can he can a job later on by going to community college? Is there a way that he can go to night school and build a portolio on his own and get hired with just that, or does he absolutely have to get a bachelors degree to get a job? Also, has anyone had any exp with Westwood and can tell me whether it or not its worth the 2k monthly cost?

Rose24387

Asked by Rose24387 at 8:29 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband is a graphic designer. He learned the programs working in a print shop and was able to move from one job to another with a portfolio of stuff he'd created. What your husband needs to do is learn Adobe Photoshop, Coral Draw, and Microsoft Publisher and he'll be gold. I can use those at a basic level from working in the print shop, but my husband has had about 7 years doing it and he's very advanced.

Otherwise, pursuing a degree from a community college is great! Apply for financial aid :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:53 PM on May. 5, 2009

• A graphics degree from a community college is just as good as one from those expensive tech schools.

The strongest thing to get a job, or get free lance work, is the portfolio. The degree comes in handy if the perspective employer is having a hard time choosing between two equally good portfolios. The one with the degree will win.

I actually only minored in Graphic Design, but that pretty much ended up being what I did for work.

I know a good website he can sell his graphic illustrations on to earn some extra change, and get some of his work out there. Send me a message if you're interested, and I'll let you know about it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:11 AM on May. 6, 2009