• In the Spotlight:

Gestational Diabetes @ 31 wks?

Can anyone tell me the implications of gestational diabetes?
I'm 31 weeks and I was just diagnosed today.
I'm set up to see a nutritionist in the next few days.
but what should i know?
Anyone have any information ?
Thanks

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 8:31 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I also have gestational diabetes, first you see the nutritionest shell talk about how many carbs you can have and what to eat, its like going on a diet, then you have to check your blood every two hrs after you eat to see if your sugars are high or normal, if there high you may need to take medication or insulin shots, im so happy that im 37 weeks im almost there so then i wont have to worry. Good luck.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 8:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• what is the diet like ?
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 8:52 PM on May. 5, 2009

• very low carbs, but high fiber, no potatoes, pasta,certain cereals,fruits are out, but peanut butter is fine, cheese, yougart, no raisins, the list goes on and on. Eat lots of protein, your aloud like one to two servings of carbs for each meal, but a serving isnt much, your dietician will go over everything with you.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 8:58 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Just follow the nutrition advice and the advice of your doctor. My very good friend had GD with her first baby. Macy ended up being 11 pounds at birth!! Of course, to see her now, she's a perfectly healthy and crazy 6 year old. Just relax, you can get through this :)
    CrazyKnitastic

Answer by CrazyKnitastic at 11:40 AM on May. 6, 2009

• fruits are out????!! I looove my fruits!!
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 11:56 AM on May. 6, 2009