my daughter insists on sleeping in my bed room help

my 4 year old wants too sleep on the floor shuld i go ahead and let her she fights me so going too bed she wants too sleep on the floor in my room i dont know what too do is this normale i think its becasue when she gos too her dads he has her sleeping on the floor in his room so i dont know how too brack this she screams at me so makes me feel horrible i dont want too cave in but i need time too my self she comes in every night in the middle of the night too sleep on my floor of crose she wuld rather spend the whol night there its a fight just too get her too bed in her own room were she wuld rather sleep on the floor

hotsexymom788

Asked by hotsexymom788 at 8:37 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would talk to her dad about it, it'll be hard to break her of it at that age if shes not sleeping on her own while shes there then comes home and has to sleep on her own. have you tried to put a gate on her door so she can't just come into your room, if you are worried about potty accidents in the middle of the night you could put one of those training potties in her room just until you feel shes slept in there enough on her own that you could take down the gate? i have a rule for my dd, she can come to lay in my bed when the sun comes up, she gets up at like 4 some nights and wants to sleep in my bed, i tell her to go back to her bed and close her eyes til the sun comes up and when it does she can crawl into bed with mommy. she of course ends up passing back out and usually sleeping til about 8 or 9 and not waking up at 5 a.m. wanting to get in bed with me..just an idea
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:51 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I like vabchmommy's sun-up idea. I'd also start a reward system for staying in her bed. Every night she does, she gets a token (poker chips work!) that she can save up for a treat.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I let my daughter sleep on my floor because it beats sharing the bed! She used to do it all the time, but then she weaned herself. Now she will come in if she is really scared by a bad dream or thunder. She doesn't even wake us up anymore! She just cuddles into her "floorbed!"
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 12:20 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with her wanting to sllep in your room. Have you ever considered she may have separation anxiety? You mention that when she goes to her Dad's she sleeps in his room. Was she accustomed to Mommy and Daddy going to bed, then all of a sudden Daddy was gone? Let her sleep with you, it's really not hurting anything. My daughter slept in our bed from the time she was born (literally the first night) until she was 4. She was quite the Mommy's girl, she is now a very independent happy 8 year old girl. Just go with the flow Mom.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:39 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I dont't see anything wrong with it. It's just a phase. Maybe she's scared of something. Nice to know she can depend on mom.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:12 AM on May. 6, 2009

• I have a similar problem with my little one, I suppose it is normal for them to want to co-sleep however it is not socially acceptable and at some point people need to sleep alone. I slept in the same bed as my mom until I reached the age of ten, because my BFF made fun of me. I never really slept alone always with my cat or dog. My three year old has a bed in our room because her crib was in our room and it became a habit to co-sleep her nursery is used sparingly but it is alot easier to encourage sleeping alone before school starts. We are still trying to work on it by tiring her out through the day so sleep will come quick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 6, 2009