How big a problem are ants in an herb garden?

This is my first year gardening here, and I'm realizing that the soil - besides being incredibly sandy - is FILLED with ants. Ants everywhere. Billions of them. I'm used to a really clay soil, so the sandiness is really new - and there are simply ants everywhere where I'm trying to plant.

How big a problem are the ants? Do I need to get rid of/reduce them before planting? I don't have the cash for beneficial nemotodes and I don't want to use any poisons. I wanted to get these seeds in the ground tomorrow, but not if I have to control the ant population first.

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 8:54 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• This might sound sick, but I've peed in my garden to get rid of pests, anything from cats to bugs. Just wash your veggies first. Not posting anon because I'm proud LOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Oh yeah, I don't pee on the plants, just around the perimeter.

omg. I can't believe I told you guys that! But it works!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:57 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Dang it, that was the suggestion for keeping skunks away too. Apparently peeing in gardens is a necessity that's been kept a secret!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• LOL! I had my little 2.5 year old potty trained boy who loves shooting 'pee gun' out there! I didn't pee this year, he did it for me actually! My husband did it too sometimes, but seriously my problem was cats. It happened to control the bugs too. Because who wants to be out there in the garden on their hands and knees and wtf there's flies and cat sh!t everywhere. Hell no!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2009