What are the reasons for waiting after a baby to have sex?

I had a c section 3 and half weeks ago, have stopped bleeding and feel I am ready. What reasons have some moms docs given them for waiting the full 6 weeks? and did you wait 6 weeks? with my first (vaginal) I waited 4 or 5 and was fine...ty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Health

• The cervix closes after about 2-3 weeks, about the time you stop bleeding. However, doctors ask you not to come back in till 6 weeks (and thusly not to have sex till then) because your uterus does not shrink back down to prepregnancy size until then. If you have stopped bleeding that means your open sore from the placenta detaching is healed or healing well. Many natural doctors and midwives suggest waiting until you feel ready and until you stop bleeding.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Infection
    Anonymous

• but as it was explained to me, once the bleeding stops, it means your cervix is closed again, so no infection risk?
    Anonymous

• i waited til i stopped bleeding so at about 4 weeks. i was never told the reason behind not having sex, i had a c-section as well though, and even with a vaginal delivery i'm assuming they tell you this to give your body time to heal, so that you don't pop stitches or something before then. however just to let you know, if you had a c-section and you do venture and give it a try, its easier if you lay on your side the wound is still healing and still hurts if you put pressure on it, when i was on top it hurt the incision site if i did alot of the work and when he was on top it put pressure on it, so we had to stick with being on our sides for about the first month.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If you feel fine then go for it. I waited 6 weeks cause i was scared of getting preggo again. But, you should be fine you had a c-section. I would go for it if your ok.What are waiting for just tell your SO to be easy on you.
    Anonymous

• I waited 10 days. I stopped bleeding 2 hours after she was born and wanted to have sex within 3 days but my husband say no. I told him on day 10 you better do it or I will get out my vibrator and do it myself. They want you to wait to give your body time to heal, to keep away infection and to give your system time to absorb the birth control if your on any. You can do a lot of damage if your not healed. It is also for those with stitches so they can heal without tearing or hemorrhaging.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:11 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i think you are suppose to wait to give your body time to heal.but i have always heard that after having a baby you are extremly fertile.i waited the full six weeks with my first one.but only 4 weeks with my second.just be careful and use some form of birth control unless you want another one.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Because you have stitches on the inside that can come apart and you could bleed internally. Your body needs time to heal from surgery.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on May. 5, 2009