swallowed whole candy

My son swallowed a whole piece of jolly rancher and now its stuck in his chest. Any suggestions how to make it go down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some water?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It will eventually break down. Have him drink water or something like sprite to break it up. It will go away eventually on its own
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i would also wait til it has gone down before you let him go to bed. but ya having him drink lots of fluids should make it break down faster.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Are you serious? I would take him to the hospital, is it blocking his air way? I would still take him, it doesn't take long to die from suffication.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon... that'd freak me out and I'd take him to the E.R... and make sure as hell he didn't get hold of anymore hard candy. :P
    Hard candies are bad news, if you're not careful, even you can choke on 'em. :/
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:09 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Have him drink something hot like hot chocolate. The heat will help melt it and get it to move.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

• Did you talk to your ped? Does it 'feel' like it's stuck or do you have an x-ray saying it's stuck? I know I'm bad at swallowing pills and occasionally it feels like it's still there even though it's not. If he's breathing, which I assume he is, it's probably not stuck. Your esophogus is a pretty strong muscle and it's job is to get things into the stomach. If you haven't called you ped... go ahead and do it.
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 9:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

• BREAD

AS LONG AS THEIR NOT CHOKING OR TURNING BLUE.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 3:59 PM on May. 6, 2009