Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swallowed whole candy

My son swallowed a whole piece of jolly rancher and now its stuck in his chest. Any suggestions how to make it go down?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on May. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (8)
  • Some water?
    prettyrayray

    Answer by prettyrayray at 8:59 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • It will eventually break down. Have him drink water or something like sprite to break it up. It will go away eventually on its own
    brailynsmama08

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:00 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • i would also wait til it has gone down before you let him go to bed. but ya having him drink lots of fluids should make it break down faster.
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 9:01 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • Are you serious? I would take him to the hospital, is it blocking his air way? I would still take him, it doesn't take long to die from suffication.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

  • I agree with anon... that'd freak me out and I'd take him to the E.R... and make sure as hell he didn't get hold of anymore hard candy. :P
    Hard candies are bad news, if you're not careful, even you can choke on 'em. :/
    Gremlyn

    Answer by Gremlyn at 6:09 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • Have him drink something hot like hot chocolate. The heat will help melt it and get it to move.
    lilbit022009

    Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:10 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • Did you talk to your ped? Does it 'feel' like it's stuck or do you have an x-ray saying it's stuck? I know I'm bad at swallowing pills and occasionally it feels like it's still there even though it's not. If he's breathing, which I assume he is, it's probably not stuck. Your esophogus is a pretty strong muscle and it's job is to get things into the stomach. If you haven't called you ped... go ahead and do it.
    trishmused

    Answer by trishmused at 9:25 AM on May. 6, 2009

  • BREAD

    AS LONG AS THEIR NOT CHOKING OR TURNING BLUE.
    momtotrips

    Answer by momtotrips at 3:59 PM on May. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN