6 month old stopped eating baby food

My son completely lost interest in all baby food. I tried the stage 2 foods also and he isn't interested. Should I just wait it out and try again in a few weeks?

dze527

Asked by dze527 at 9:12 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is a common post around here. It could be lots of things... teething, wanting to feed himself. Just try a little every day but don't stress if he's not into it. you can try some safe finger foods to see if that's part of it... my daughter at 7 months only wants to eat table food (my first is almost 2 and she still would eat the veggie purees if we let her!) ... too bad most of it's not safe for her yet!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Wait it out. Food is not needed at that age and is considered more practice for the real thing.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• offer him table food in small bites. Our daughter ate baby food for about 2 weeks and is almost 8 months now and eats nothing but table food. Keep offering it to him.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2009

• he might be working on cutting a tooth. Sometimes that will cause a decrease in appetite or change in it. Yes, wait it out and offer again in a few weeks. GL.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:16 PM on May. 5, 2009

• i have the same issue my daughter is now five months and doesnt eat anything but everyone including her doctor is saying wait it out. so maybe you should too it can be hes teething
    jasseimamommy

Answer by jasseimamommy at 9:54 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would say drop it for now, and pick it up again in a few weeks. If you force the food on him, that can turn him off to it even more. My dd was always iffy with baby food. I used formula until she was about 14 months old, and started "people food" at about 9 months. Her eating improved a lot when it was baby food. Some babies just don't like it.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 10:10 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Have you ever tasted baby food? I think you have a baby with a highly developed palate; baby food is nasty tasting stuff. The solids that babies eat before their first birthdays are for the experience of eating; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula. Avocado is a great food for babies, full of good fats for growing brains. Cooked and mashed sweet potato is a nutrtional powerhouse; so are cooked beans. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library, more information at www.superbabyfood.com.
    Just be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods: nuts and honey should not be given before baby turns 2. Foods to avoid before baby turns one (not a complete list) includes: wheat, soy, dairy, citrus, strawberries, egg white.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on May. 6, 2009

• My ped told me to try a little everyday , if he still seems uninterested wait a week and try again, be sure to try fruits especially they are sweeter and will be more willing to eat them, However if he knows hell get a bottle he may just prefer it, You might try waiting before feeding him an alternative when it becomes more nessacary.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 5:23 PM on May. 6, 2009