If I get induced, what are the chances of me having a c-section?

Expecting_Mommy

Asked by Expecting_Mommy at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Over 50 percent....

Why do you ask?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:14 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Depends on why your being induced if you over due and the baby is head down then slim to none. if the baby is breach or transverse then its a good possibility. If your in labor and your water breaks and you don't deliver within 12 to 24 hours then it is a good possibility then as well. Or if you don't make progress they will do one. Only if its needed for you or the child will they do it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:15 PM on May. 5, 2009

• it depends if you haven't started to progress on your own, (you aren't dilated or effaced at all) than the chances are higher, and they are higher if you get induced before your due date. if you have started and its after your due date the chance isn't as high. i was induced at 38 weeks with my first, hadn't started anything on my own yet, and ended up having to have a c-section after 3 days. however i also wasn't aware that they could have also tried breaking my water b/c it never broke on its own and that that may help it progress so i never asked about that. i think if you educate yourself and see what the options are for when it does happen than you are less likely to feel you have to have one. and on a side note, when you are induced, you are put on a liquid diet (don't know about natural b/c haven't done it) and aren't allowed out of bed, even to pee b/c the contractions are stronger (once again nothing to compare) CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• and it places the hospital at a higher risk if something were to happen. so you'd be stuck in bed w/the monitors for however long it takes you to have the baby or have the c-section
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I have been induced three times because all of my kids were two weeks late. My doctor told me that we would start the induction, if nothing happened, I would go back home and try another day, It worked very well for me each time. There was never any talk of C-section. I'm sure I could have gotten one if it were an emergency. Good Luck. Don't worry.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I was induced with my first. And ended up having a c-section. It was emergency based, the cord was around his neck. I doubt that it happens like that all the time though.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:47 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I think it goes on progression and the position of the baby i was induced and had dd vaginally

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 10:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I was induced with my first pregnancy. My doctors reason was because I was on a high risk pregnancy, and the baby needed to come out at soon as possible. There is a little over 50% chance to getting a c-section. I ended up with one, and then had a second planned one 19 months later with my second baby. Everyone has their own opinions about c-sections mine personally is that it wasn't that horrible. Granted the recovery is a little longer, but other than that I think everyone has a different experience just like in natural delievery!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:32 AM on May. 6, 2009

• TheDiva320 -

I was induced with my first. And ended up having a c-section. It was emergency based, the cord was around his neck. I doubt that it happens like that all the time though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually it happens in about 2/3 of births and it is not a reason for a c-section. If your c-section was an emergency then chances are they didn't know the cord was around the babies neck until he was born.
    OP -
    If this is your first baby and you are being induced then you are probably at least 50% (if not more) for having a c-section.
    Anonymous