Christians that believe in hell: Why do you believe?

Last week we heard why a lot of people do not believe in hell. I read those answers. Those of you who DO believe in hell…why? (I already know why many of you DO NOT believe in hell I am asking those who DO believe in hell)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• THIS IS WHY I BELIEVE IN HELL CAUSE THE BIBLE TALKS ABOUT IT HERE ARE SOME VERSES..
    And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
    —Daniel 12:2 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
    —Matthew 5:22
    And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
    —Matthew 10:28
    And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell.
    —Mark 9:44
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:07 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Its the truth. God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:17 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Because I believe the Bible to be true. There are at least 162 references to hell in the New Testament alone. Almost half of the references (about 70) are quotes of Jesus warning of hell. Jesus came so that we may have ever lasting life. It is fitting that he would be the one to warn us the most of what rejecting him will cost us.

As for the traditional description of hell, that is up for discussion vs. what the Bible actually says. However, "hell" is necessary. Without "hell" there would have been nothing for Jesus to save us from. Why did he die on the cross to save us if there is no undesireable consquence to not being saved? Why did he tell us "whosoever believes in me should not perish but have everlasting life" if there was no "hell" to save us from upon death?

People can explain hell away all they want to suit their own agendas. The fact of the matter is, Jesus came to save us from hell.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:27 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Sorry I know that you asked for only the ones that DO believe in hell. But I have to respond to the 2nd comment. If you find an old enough dictionary hell is defined a mankind's common grave. Also Jesus died for us because Adam ate from the forbidden tree. God had told them if they ate from the tree they would die. Not go to heaven or go to hell they would die.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:41 PM on May. 5, 2009

• And so that we can have everlasting life back on earth the way it was meant to be Jesus had to die. If there were a true hell that people went to there you would still have everlasting life. Also the scriptures tell us what happens when we die. Ecclestiates 9:19,20: 9:5, Psalms 146:4. Plus what kind of God would that be? NOT a very loving God. Not a God that I would want. Even if your own child had done the worst thing that you could even imagine would you send them to hell to burn in torment forever? And God has more love for a person,more then we could even know.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:42 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Also. When we die that is our punishment same as in the beginning. We die because we are sinners. Romans 5:12. When we die we are washed clean of our sins Romans 6:23

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:44 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I know that alot of people dont believe in hell but I for one do the bible clearly states there is a hell. God said sin will not enter into heaven and he clearly talks about false prophets that will decieve many. He says many are called few are chosen. Many people are called to god but alot are being decieved and wont make it because there tought anything they do is excepted
    sarahbarkan

Answer by sarahbarkan at 9:55 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I agree with sarahbarkan on this. Its in the bible there for I believe there is a hell.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

• cont
    There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ But Abraham said, ‘
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:08 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’

—Luke 16:19-26
    They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,

—2 Thessalonians 1:9
    hinson7169