Would you move to your inlaws to save money?

My husband and I are finding that we can barely afford our living situation right now. His parents have offered us to move in with them to save money to buy our first home. In todays market would you consider it? His mother and I have had our issues but have a better relationship because of them. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Make sure you have the boundaries in place ahead of time. Set up a time frame to be out and make sure you have your own space. Its going to be rough at first but its doable. I would do it if I didn't hate my inlaws. I would live with my mom again and so would my husband.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• No, No, and Hell No! Not like they would ever offer to let us live with them anyway. There's no way I could ever live under the same roof as them. I can barely have dinner at their house without them second guessing how I parent my children.
    Anonymous

• Yes, if we couldn't afford rent, we probably would. And we've had our issues, my MIL and I..but we get along for the most part. They've been very helpful though, so we have been able to make ends meet with our apartment. I'd totally move in with them if we couldn't afford our place though.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:20 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yup!
    Anonymous

• My fiance and I lived with my mom and stepdad while I was pregnant. We were also there until my daughter was three months old.

I will never ever EVER live with a relative again. It caused way too much stress. My stepdad and I do not get along, and my mom and I aren't on the best of terms.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:21 PM on May. 5, 2009

• HELL NO they get in your bussiness whether you like it or not and its his parents they will have say too and their opinion will matter to your DH.Take it easy your time will come when you will be able to offord a home .And if its tuff now if you get a home it will be worst .You have advantages by renting .
    If any repairs are needed the landlord has to repair it
    And if you have trouble with neibors or you like the place anymore you can move
    But if your a home owner its not that easy .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 9:23 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would strictly advise against it, having been in your shoes before. It's not worth it.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:23 PM on May. 5, 2009

• we moved in with my parents b/c we couldn't find anything reasonable in a size we wanted and my dad had lost his job so he offered to let us have the master room if we paid part of the mortgage. so thats what we did. however def set boundaries about the kids now, yes their the grandparents but when you live with them its different. my mother still seems to think that its ok to tell dd yes when i've told her no about something and her excuse is i'm grandma. my thing is though that you live with her, so now she is constantly trying to get you to say something else and guilt you into it. so sit down have a discussion maybe even write up a "lease" and go over what would be expected of you and your hubby when it comes to housework etc...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If I absolutely had to, then yes. And I would much rather live with the ILs than my parents...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• A home is only big enough for one family so to speak. Like my husband says, there's only one king and one queen in any home. I would never ever do it.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 9:25 PM on May. 5, 2009