Is it true?

I had read this a while ago. That all the holidays are based off of pagan holidays. I am not saying you are wrong. I want to know if you will share where you have read this information. My dh will not believe it. Thank you.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 9:21 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • Of course they are. Christmas is suspiciously close to the winter solstice (December 21/22nd), Easter is close to the Spring Equinox (March 21st/22nd), and of course there's always halloween which more and more churches are trying to steal. Societies throughout history have celebrated their holidays according to the movements of the son and moon so organized religions tend to schedule their holy days around the same time.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:26 PM on May. 5, 2009

• http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=fBW&q=christmas+is+based+off+pagan&btnG=Search

=] Google search about Christmas having pagan origins. That's the most famous one I can think of. But I'm pretty sure there are a ton of other holidays that have pagan origins. Not ALL of them, of course. But most of them. Halloween is another biggie.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Yes it's true. pick a holiday say christmas and go to ask.com put in where it originated. Also at the historychannel.com

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:24 PM on May. 5, 2009

• http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.com/studies/holidays2.htm Christmas/Pagan holiday

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usma&c=holidays&id=1991 Easter/Ostara/Imbolc
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• If I'm correct, one of the main reasons we celebrate Christmas on 12/25 as "Jesus's birthday", even though he wasn't born on that day, is because the Church wanted to convert more pagans way back when. And like Rhonda said, pagans celebrated the winter solstice around Christmastime. Course it wasn't called Christmas back then, but you know what I mean.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:29 PM on May. 5, 2009

• How about mothers and fathers day? Birthdays?
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It is very much true....not just the holidays themselves but also a lot of the symbolism that is included with the holidays.

Lemme go pull some links for you as there are many.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:35 PM on May. 5, 2009

• That is great thank you. I will wait.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:39 PM on May. 5, 2009

• no mothers day and fathers day are modern creations.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 9:46 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Aren't those halmark creations fireball?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:47 PM on May. 5, 2009