my son escaped his crib, what do i do?!

so my son is 16 months and today i layed him down for a nap and then went into my room and took a nap only to be woken up 2 hours later from my son playing with my belt in my room... at first i thought my brother was playing a trick on me because he used to put him on the couch before he would climb up there and yea--- anyway it wasnt the case, no one was home, nor had anyone been home all day... so i went into his room thinking i had left the crib down.. not the case it was still up! i dont understand how he got out of his crib without getting hurt and crying or making any other noise for that matter...

i need to know if this is normal and what i can do to make sure i dont get up in the morning to a missing baby!!

his mattress is as low as it goes and his crib is in the locked position... and its a tall crib! it comes up to my chest (i cant reach in and touch the matress) so idk. and i have a large jealous dog....

wisteriastars

Asked by wisteriastars at 9:29 PM on May. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it is time for a toddler bed or a mattress on the floor.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:32 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Well he will either continue to get out of you can get him a toddler bed or transition that one into the toddler bed. Once they learn to get out then its a no win situation for you. If the dog is jealous of your son then the dog she be outside or locked up.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I would invest in a toddler bed, and a door knob cover to keep him in his room. Clear his room out of every thing he can pull off a wall (a dresser should be bolted to the wall and drawers should be hard to pull out or child locked.) Toys should be kept to only things he can't choke on, or otherwise harm himself with. Dig out the monitor and set it up so you can hear when he gets up. GL. Hope all works.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:33 PM on May. 5, 2009

• I put my son in a toddler bed when he was around that age. I also closed the door to our room(i put him in my room for the transition because he was so young) and locked the door (with a chain lock out of his reach). My little boy is an excape artist too, Good Luck!
    southernstyle88

Answer by southernstyle88 at 9:38 PM on May. 5, 2009

• It's normal. You should keep the side down or plan on moving him to a bed - even if it's just a mattress on the floor for now.
    Also, put a baby gate over his doorway so he can't go wandering out of his room. Make sure his room is TODDLER-proofed. Put a lock on the closet door (no swinging on the clothes, no pinched fingers in the door), make sure the windows are locked, bolt the furniture to the walls (think of a tall dresser falling over with it's little climber still part way up!), remove all breakables and anything that is high up that could tempt him to find a way to get that high.

Other options to keep him in his room are a door knob cover on the inside so he can't get out, putting a new door knob on the door so the push-button bedroom lock is on the outside - this instantly unlocks when you simply turn the knob, or getting a door alarm that will go off if he turns his knob in the night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:05 PM on May. 5, 2009

• Oh - and bring back the baby monitor if you have taken it out. This lets you keep a better ear on him during naps and nighttime. He should never be alone in his room unless it is for sleeping.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:06 PM on May. 5, 2009